HybridZ

What car to get?

auxilary

No, just not opt of the Kizashi :) If we're going by best of both worlds tokens, the Hyundai sonata has 5 year/60k mile warranty, 10/100k power train, 6 speed manual, 18.5 gallon tank, 2.4L direct injection, 200hp, and gets 24/35, respectively. I drove the auto version, it runs 2k rpm at 75mph in 6th

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hyundai's arent too bad to be honest,

my dad has a Sonata, mom has a Elantra, I'm temporarily driving the other Hyundai Elantra, the only issue they have run into was bad O2 sensors on the 2004 Sonata and a faulty window motor and door lock on the rear passenger door.

I love the Genesis and the new Sonata is really nice.

The BMW 5 series, roughly 2005-2007ish is under 20k. Volvo has some well built cars for under 20k and who can forget.. a Infinity G37 4-door!

Cheap daily 4 seats and fun? Good mileage? Impreza base model or something. Heck, you can get an 04 sti for around 21,500 or so with upgrades. STI's are super nice. I know you don't want that old so I would say just go for a newer one, I think the older ones look much better though.

On the compact 4-dr, I don't think there's anything better than a Mazda3.

I agree, as you know you're getting a good deal for a nice car with the Three. If you want carefree and comfortable the 3, or a Honda is really the way to go.

On the other hand, if I was you I'd strongly consider an E36 BMW. Yeah, they are older, but that just means you're spending less, and you can probably go out and find a nice example for a relatively low amount of money. My dad and I found a '93 318iS with 5 speed and 200,000 miles at an auction last year. It is in very good condition for its age. We replaced the oil, front control arms, some bushings and the radio.

I've driven it a few times and even though it's a 318, it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive! Feels very tight, engine has good compression (10:1 factory!) and BMW just makes (made) everything feel right. The E36 really is well done. If you find a good example, save yourself $10k and have a fun DD. You'll have to do some maintenance, but if you can do simple stuff you'll save some cash there too. They're not hard to work on.

My brother drives the car now (S/C Previa died) and it really makes me want to get an E36 (6 cylinder, the 4 is lacking for my tastes) as my next DD, although I've been salivating over S2000s for a long time now.

Good luck in your search!

What about a VW Golf or a Ford Fusion? jk ;)

I'd skip the Civic. My friend is a mechanic at a Honda dealership and he said lately (the past year or so) a lot of the newer Civics have been coming in for various things/problems.

Out of your choices I'd probably go with the 09' Mazda3 hatch. The 09' looks a lot better than the 10' (if that matters to you). When my wife and I were looking for a CX-9 we were leaning towards the 09' since it didn't have the big "happy" grill...the happy grill later grew on us and went with the 10'...as for the 10' Mazda3, I don't think that bumper grill would ever grow on me. :puke:

From the list you had in your first post, the Mazda 3

Other cars, do you have the Suzuki Swift Sport in the US? 2 and 4 door hatch options, nice handling, thrifty, and not as boring to look at as some cars out there.

From the list you had in your first post, the Mazda 3

Other cars, do you have the Suzuki Swift Sport in the US? 2 and 4 door hatch options, nice handling, thrifty, and not as boring to look at as some cars out there.

I believe but I'm not sure that the Suzuki swift is the Chevrolet Aveo here. We did get Suzuki swifts, the first and second generation I believe, but I'm not sure about the newer ones.

You list the Honduh at almost $5k less, approx 30% better gas mileage that the others you list, AND it fits all the rest of your list?

Let go of the rest. If power seats and sunroof mean that much to you, then your not really looking for an economy car are you? Needs and wants. Two different animals. Pick one, and pay the appropriate price. I had to let go of my ego, and step back into a honda. I NEEDED good gas mileage, as I commute 200km every day. Hurts at first, but then I just go home and take the Z out for a drive, and its all good again.

Scott.

Volvo s60R (not your ordinary volvo ;) )

It has plenty of room, is decently quick (300hp 2.5 I5 running 15lbs of boost from the factory), handles well, AWD, huge brembo's for some bling, great interior, etc, etc. I might be a bit biased on that one though. The only thing that doesn't meet your criteria would be the mileage ratings. I don't know what they are from the factory, but I get about 17 city and 26 freeway cruising between 75 and 80. If you drop it down to 60 the mileage shoots up to ~33.

I'd also look into a used 3 series.

So an e36 is a bit old for your tastes, but I didn't realize your budget was quite this size. There's plenty to be seen for used luxury Euro cars in the $20k range.

Nearly fully loaded 2010 Kia Forte SX.  Good looking, 175hp, back seat, 4-doors (coupe shown in my pic),  6 speed, 17" wheels, well under 20K, warranty.

Wow...that's not bad looking. Looks similar to a civic. Definitely something to keep in mind. I've finally decided on what I'm getting this summer...*drum rollllllllllllllll*

A Honda Accord Wagon! OMG WAGON!!!

They get almost 30 mpg, have a crap-ton of room, are comfy, reliable, and are not in demand at all. Just from looking the other day I found 3 locally I'd pick up if I had the cash. Well under 5k.

But for the OP, sounds like a Mazda 3 or maybe the Kia Forte. 6 speed and 175hp should be pretty peppy.

If you are going wagon the VW TDI sportwagon is pretty awesome.

then there is always a scooby wagon.

I've thought about that but aren't German parts typically expensive? The Honda wagons are pretty nice (for a wagon) and its something I wouldn't want to mod saving me money for the Z ;)

+1 on the kia forte the forte koup seems decent. maybe a kia soul? they get pretty decent gas mileage lots of cool features like interior underglow lighting satellite radio sport supspension etc. I saw one at the Denver Auto show and it was pretty cool. :D Whatever you get is up to you and I'm sure you will get what you deem right for you.

Edited by 19752802+2