HybridZ

Gm LLT 3.6 direct injection

emeraldlion

Let me start, mods I know it's not a v8 but considering the relation to gm and use in cars also housing lsx engines I thought this might be the better place to post. Just tossing around the thought of tossing in the new llt engine from the cts/camaro/g8. The 3.6 DI version seems to be a pretty impressive engine. I've been researching a bit and haven't been able to locate exact dimension but would assume it would be close to the previous gm 60* v6. The engine reportedly weighs about 385 lbs. Benefits I see are the potential for being set back farther, mildly increased fuel economy over an ls1. Through my reading I've read in more than one place that the crank and rods are forged, and the cast aluminum pistons are pretty light, although the 11:1 compression isn't exactly boost friendly we all know it's about quality tuning to prevent detonation. Right out of the box 305 hp 275 tq and 7k cutoff isn't bad and direct injection is the new frontier(so I've heard). I'm wandering if anybody has any dimensions? Potential problems are block height, and width. The DOHC cam engines are always wider, pictures I have viewed show the engine as fairly compact though. Mostly looking for a sounding board. Other than the potential cost of the engine if it involves too much more work than an ls1 swap then I'll probably abort. What do you guys think?

Look up vg30et and ve30de, they weigh less then the GM motor, no guessing about fitment and more then enough power potential. Plus they can be had anywhere from $50 to $400 for a complete running motor.

This should be in the "other engines" forum BTW.

Edited by hoov100

I just gotta ask if this is a 'dare to be different' thing. If so, I can respect and understand that (see past projects of mine and customers).

If not, consider a few things....

The cost/hassle would be pretty extreme from fabbing mounts, stand alone pcm/harness, and let's not even get into headers/exhaust. I am sure its all do-able, just a matter of cost (I am always down for a challenge like this btw).

I have a warmed over 6.0 LSx/LQ4 w/4L60e in my Z (see sig for details). I get 32 mpg doing 80+ mph all day long. I seriously doubt the 3.6 will do any better in an already light platform.

Yes, the crank and rods are forged, but all Chevy V8's have always had forged rods since '55. The forged crank is a nice thing to put on paper, but is really just selling point in a motor that is barely pushing past 300 HP. Stock LSx cast cranks are good to 600+, and I've read a few breaching the 1000+ mark with stock cast cranks.

I do like the DOHC, VVT, and direct injection though, but is it really that important in the grand scheme of things? Only you can answer that my friend.

I do motor swaps with all kinds of motor/trans into any type of cars/trucks for customers. This what used to be a part time, 'on the side thing' has turned into a full time thing.

Take care and feel free to PM with any questions.

Edited by Cable

No, honestly it's not a "because I want to and nobody has" not that I don't have a tremendous respect for the individuals that do and have the capablity to do this. I wouldn't spend so many hours on hybridz learning so much if it weren't for those people. the thought I had was that since this engine shares bays with lsx engines then potentially it had the ability to share the ls1 mount kit made by JCI. I also have no idea of the exact dimensions of the engine. If they are far off from the ls1 then it won't be worth it to me. If the engine is much taller, or wider than the lsx engines then I don't think it will be an option for me. I was hoping it might be similar in spec possibly slightly shorter, and be able to share the mount kit. I think direct injection is the plane to be heading for performance engines and this seems to be a solid engine. I appreciate the responses guys.

Thanks for moving me to appropriate sub mods.

Edited by emeraldlion