HybridZ

Steering Problems

BigJ

Ok so heres the problem. I just got a n/a 86 z31 and when driving the steering wheel is extremely stiff and hard to turn and when you do turn it gets stuck and has to be forced back straight again. I checked the fluid level and it was fine. I was thinking that it might be the rack itself or the pump gone bad, but the pump wouldnt cause it to stick would it? I also know that it needs an allignment as the front tires are both worn on the inside, but i dont want to get it alligned without fixing the steering problem. Any ideas would be a huge help.

Thanks John

could be something binding up. Jack up the front end so both wheels are hanging in the air. You should be able to grab a tire and force the steering lock to lock by hand. Be sure the key is in so you don't have the ignition lock stopping things. Have someone move wheels with the steering wheel and watch what happens. There have been posts by people who found the u joints in the stering column to be bad and caused hard steering. They come apart pretty easy. Couple of lock bolts to come out and probably some hammer work to move it on the splines.

it is on the end of the steering column between that and the rack. I don't understand how you could wear one out. I've got 250+K on an 85t and my 83 n/a. They are both in fine shape. Took them off just to look after posts on people having worn them out. Maybe a kid sitting there every day moving it lock to lock about 10 times?