HybridZ

sr20 240z weighed

I just weighed my 73 240z with an sr20det in it. I have a full interior. Stock suspension and stock brakes. I have stock bumpers without the over riders. I have removed the spare wheel and gas tank. I have an atl 15 gal cell. I weigh 165lbs. I had close to 90%full gas tank. With me in the car, the weight came in at 2560lbs. I'm alittle disapointed. I'm going to be switching to an r200 with the 300z cv's and groundcontrol coilovers in the next couple of weeks. I will weigh it again then. I weighed my car at a local cat scale truck stop.

I just weighed my 73 240z with an sr20det in it. I have a full interior. Stock suspension and stock brakes. I have stock bumpers without the over riders. I have removed the spare wheel and gas tank. I have an atl 15 gal cell. I weigh 165lbs. I had close to 90%full gas tank. With me in the car, the weight came in at 2560lbs. I'm alittle disapointed. I'm going to be switching to an r200 with the 300z cv's and groundcontrol coilovers in the next couple of weeks. I will weigh it again then. I weighed my car at a local cat scale truck stop.

That's actually about normal for a SR20DET swap. The cars typically come in around 2,300 lbs without the driver in the seat.

Removing weight from a s30 is actually pretty easy. lets start with the dash, say you get vildini's fiberglass replica and use all autometers. Theres about 20 pounds right there. Say you strip all of the stock wiring out and re-wire it with the bare bones essentials, theres a good 5 or so pounds right there. using aftermarket one piece fiberglass seats and custom rails will save about 20 or so pounds, gutting all of the sound deadener, insulation, rear interior panels, carpet, HVAC system and controls will take off a good 40 pounds out. keeping the R180 and swaping in the subie R180 with CV axles will save about 10 pounds over the R200 swap with CV's. doing the wilwood rear disc brake setup will save a few pounds. using betamotorsports fiberglass hood and hatch with a lexan rear window and 1/4 windows will save about 60 pounds. fiberglass front fenders with molded in headlight buckets will save about 15 pounds a piece. going with an aftermarket aluminum pedal assembly with an aftermarket aluminum collapsible steering column will save about 15 pounds. replacing the control arms with aftermarket tubular ones will save about 5 pounds. installing a lightweight flywheel and clutch assembly will save anywhere from 10-20 pounds.

total= 225 pounds and the car will still be completely street friendly.

(these are conservative guesses at best, so don't quote me on it.)

Johnc, when you did amir's swap you managed to get his car down to around 2100lbs right? How did you reduced 200lbs off the car?

Custom aluminum dash, fiberglass hood and hatch, poly rear window, no interior, no door glass or window mechanisms. Later, Amir added some of these parts back in to drive it on the street.

Putting helium in the tires should help with some 10 lbs. maybe?

I wouldn't really think so. Air is so light in the first place. Maybe it will cause a Lighter reading because the helium kinda picks the car up a bit.

I just had my 240z weighed. It came in at 2314 pounds. Thats with the L28 and a full cage. I still have some work to do to reduce that weight some more. I am aiming for 2200 pounds also.

Edited by galderdi

• 4 weeks later...

My SR20DET280Z weighs 2480 lbs without me in the driver's seat. It is a 1978 280z without bumpers. I guess mine is hog compared to these others. I do have the heavier 280z with an R200 with LSD and Konig rewind wheels. Nothing is weight saving, I guess. Full 3" exhaust is probably heavy too. I am turning about 400whp though so the power/weight ration is better than 7 lb/hp even with me in it and it transfers the power to the ground nicely.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So I am finally to the spot where I got to weigh her and can update this thread with my results.

I've got the SR20DET all pretty much finished, at least weight wise, and this is my outcome. I have no fans/heaters/etc..., full rewire with painless, fuel cell, auto power bar, corbeau seats, but stock dash, full carpet/trim inside. FG Bumpers.

I'm 2300 with a full tank and me not in it on a truck scale.

~1100 front / ~1200 back... With a full to the top tank. I'm pretty happy so far. I plan to get her corner balanced when I get my LCAs and TCRs on, as I don't want to mess with the suspension too much until I can truly dial it in a bit. Then I'll know where it really stands, with incredible accuracy.

All in all, I'm pleased with the results. I will change to a FG hood and hatch later down the road, as well as change out my super heavy wheels with some lighter ones and I believe I can cut another 50-100.

There isn't much more I can take off the car of significant weight, other than really aggressive actions like lexan and undesirable mods that make driving it on the street altogether lame.