HybridZ

Newbie exhaust questions

OhDearAudrey

Just got my first Z after years of wanting one :) it's a 77' 280z completely stock

A few questions :

1. Eventually i will put a new exhaust on the car because it makes almost no noise atm. What would be the best way to go for the best sound / best value. I want it to be loud, but not ricey. But not loud enough to annoy me inside the car.

2. There are what i think exhaust smells inside the car. It's not that big of a deal atm but after a one hour drive my clothes kinda smelled like exhaust.

Assuming it is completly stock and that it hasn't been getting regular checkups and whatnot, you probably have exhaust leaks, which cause the smell. Another reason for exhaust fumes in the cabin can come from the rear deck area. There is an intersting sticky attached to the Body section, its about adding a rear spoiler to get rid of fumes.

Bring your car to a decent exhaust/muffler shop and get them to take a look at it. My friend brought his car, put a 6-1 header on it, and had them bend a complete single pipe, 2.5",(no cat) to a Magna flow muffler that the shop supplied. It sounds pretty decent, and cost him about $350 for the work, muffler, and pipe. The 6-1 header cost him $300 from MSA.

Edit: add some pictures of your ride

Edited by BluDestiny

Assuming you're only after the note of the exhaust I'd start out by searching through the exhaust section and on youtube to find what set-up you really like the sound of the most. Some people hate the raspiness of the l6, while others love it.

Your level of ability and the budget you have to work with are going to be what dictates which route you take.

Personally, I'd suggest adding a cam along with your exhaust to get the best sound as well as improved performance, but since the stock efi doesn't play well with a new cam that would mean converting to a stand-alone system or carbs.

Search on youtube for exhaust clips of triple weber set-ups, but don't blame me when you realize just how much that note will run you ;)

To stick with a completely stock engine I would follow the route BluDestiny's friend took with the 6-1 header from MSA (www.motorsportauto.com), but finish it off with a set of twice pipes.

In the end, it all comes down to which sound you're after the most and how much you're willing to spend to get it.

Hope this helps,

Ryan