HybridZ

ls1 280zx

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just set an extra block with heads and intake to mach up where everything will go .I had 6 differernt sets of stock ls1 manifolds lying around the shop they all suck. I did by the headders from jegs and pass side great driver side not so much but....... Lucky i had the jtr sbc adj kit and i had the v8gm to ls1 adjustable conversion mounts engine with headers are in my 83 zx. Both mounts have forward to back side to side adjustment. No fab ness yet. I will have to shave some for clearence on the pan by the frt bolt that holds the steering rack so that motor can be moved 1/2" over to the pass side for driveline alinement. The header on the dr side will have to be notched by the collector.I had a sbc in my car a few weeks ago loved it 200r4 shift kit,2600 stall converter and tci lock up converter billet servo and 10 valve body. The engine was 650 holley 4bbl mild cam sold the engine for the ls1 because carbs have a fuel smell that i dont like and too heavy weight wise u can feel it in the brakes. Cast heads and block and water pump not that great, ls1 hell yea. I will post picks this week any questions email me ke280zx@yahoo.com I will post the latest info as i recive because every zx owner deserves a real engine lsx?here is old engine pic this is my 3rd engine and trans this year, no more after this i am done

post-9049-095164100 1289083811_thumb.jpg

Is the engine back as far as you can possibly go? Where does your shifter come up in the car?

Car is looking good so far!

with my set up , the shifter comes up at fact. location . motor sits close to the firewall , but there is room left for my future upgrade , supercharger .

If you can get a pic of your motor mounts and how close you are to the firewall that would be great. I'm trying to get an idea of how much room I will have for the turbo piping up in front of the engine. Oh and maybe a pic of the space in front of the engine!

Thanks!

If you can get a pic of your motor mounts and how close you are to the firewall that would be great. I'm trying to get an idea of how much room I will have for the turbo piping up in front of the engine. Oh and maybe a pic of the space in front of the engine!

Thanks!

here are the photos . if you are planning on using stock mounts , make the right side a little higher . it won't take long before it compressed by the torque of the motor . btw , you have a nice car , love that color and wheels . do you have the code for the color ? doing my car two tone , when i m done reenforcing the body .

post-11413-030053500 1289311743_thumb.jpg

post-11413-008449300 1289311763_thumb.jpg

post-11413-009574100 1289311787_thumb.jpg

post-11413-022197500 1289311969_thumb.jpg

post-11413-058090000 1289312118_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i used stock nissan mounts and made my own brackets . if you go with stock mounts , make the pass. side a little higher , it will sag a little with that much torque from the v8 . rec. use chevy mounts , which i will soon .

what engine mounts did you use?

• 1 month later...

sorry , i dont have a good picture of it at this time , if need it , i'll try put the car on the lift and take a better one . good luck

i used Hooker block hugger on pass. side but any block hugger will work , a lot of room there . dirver side is another story .

dont mean to thread jack but nice swap, I see most of the posters on this thread are form texas is anyone in austin that has done a swap? I just sold my jetta and im buying another 77 280zx on monday would most def. like to sit and talk to someone who has done a swap hell I will buy lunch too.

Julian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i used stock nissan mounts and made my own brackets . if you go with stock mounts , make the pass. side a little higher , it will sag a little with that much torque from the v8 . rec. use chevy mounts , which i will soon .

I'm very interested and doing some research to do my own LS1/T56 swap into my 82 280ZX, would you consider making another set of brackets for sale for the mount?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very interested and doing some research to do my own LS1/T56 swap into my 82 280ZX, would you consider making another set of brackets for sale for the mount?

i rec. using chevy motor mounts for the set up . nissan mounts are not strong enough . i ll , eventually , do it this way . so , the answer to your question is no . check out 80lt1 project to get more infor. , think he uses chevy mounts .

• 5 months later...

Do you have any pictures of oil pan modification? I had a sbc in my 83 zx and pulled it out sat. Now for the ls1 engine i am using the JTR kit with the small block older chevy to ls1 conversion mounts off of ebay the adjustable ones for 99.00 it lets you put and ls1 in an older gm. I hope it works. i have all kinds of stock manifolds for ls1 but i saw som block huggers from jegs. They look similar to the jtr sanderson headers they meet in the middle and go strait down. Any pointers on pan would be great. thanks Kirk Eilertsen

I'm curious if you were able to make the JTR mounts work with the SBC to LSX adapter? I'm considering doing the same for my 79zx and am trying to keep all the custom fab to a minimum.

thanks much

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you get the stock tach and speedo to work or did you go AM?

I use PLX gauge , which connects to OBD II connector . It gives me a lot of data . I also added LED tach. with shift light ( 2 1/16 ) . As for the speedo , tried to use Digital Dakota speedo convertor . It doesn"t generate fast enough pulse for my digital gauge , reads about 50% off .

• 9 months later...