HybridZ

'72 240z w/ 10pt

I am starting my Z project for the second time now, the first one I sold to fund this one. I am starting with a 72' 240z, with almost no rust. This car I am trying to build the right way from day one. I have been dreaming of an LS2 with the 6 speed, but have been open to other ideas. Soo.. I got the car stripped for a good price and sent it straight to the race shop in San Marcos, CA. They are putting in a 10pt. cage to support the frame and provide some driver protection in the event I ever take it on the track, yes, it could be considered over kill but I rather over build then to start again. The cage has since been finished and I have a few pictures of it. At the same time I had the shop make me a new fuel tank, that would accommodate the fuel door and still be under the car. Currently the car is in another shop that does custom aluminum and is getting a dash made with center console to match. The door panels were a little beat up and I figured since I have gone this far, I will do the door panels as well. More updates to follow…..

post-6977-12736132024062_thumb.jpgpost-6977-12736132184028_thumb.jpgpost-6977-12736132402567_thumb.jpgpost-6977-12736132551367_thumb.jpg

That cage is INSANE!

Seriously - that sucker is hardcore. Are you going to be able to use the factory dash still? How much did it run if you don't mind? I was quoted 150/point here.

• 2 weeks later...

So the dash is in progress right now, I ran over to the shop and was able to take two quick pictures of the dash in its early stages. My plan is to have it coated and a dash cover made, so I won't be blinded by the sun.

post-6977-12748252043861_thumb.jpgpost-6977-12748252119958_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Ok so it has been quite some time with my project and I needed to make some progress or abandon the project. With the help of a member (shout out to Cable) I pulled the trigger and bought a LS1/T56 from a Camaro. Great I have the engine now what? I ordered the JCI engine mount, Trans mount, and drive shaft. So not I have most of the parts including a R200 CLSD that I had laying around. So I'll take a few pictures, sand the engine bay some, prime it, paint it and get all of the pieces that I have together and then, its the suspension.

So today I received the JCI kit, and started sanding the engine bay a little to paint it. Here's a few pictures of what is going on so far. I will update more after I finally get it out of the garage and pressure was it.

post-6977-044006200 1308785741_thumb.jpg

post-6977-005062800 1308785753_thumb.jpg

post-6977-082218000 1308785759_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

The project hasn't been abandoned!!  I didn't get a chance to upload the pics of my progress so far. So since the last posts, I have installed the engine, '99 or '00 Camaro LS1 w/ T-56 transmission.  It went in well with the kit, no problems. 

Currently, getting the wiring situation under control.  I have sent my engine harness off to be cleaned up for the swap.  I will be looking for a place to do a little computer work here in the near future.  I am also mentality preparing myself for purchasing the right chassis wiring harness.  I have been looking at Painless, but may go EZ wiring.com.  After that stuff is mostly done, I'll be working on getting it started and all the needed items to make it run.

• 1 year later...

What a trip to look back and see when I said that I started this project... I actually started it a short time before. 

Recent updates:

I have purchased the Arizona Z Car(www.arizonazcar.com) control arms, mustache bar, differential mounts, and drop kit.

In addition to the suspension, I purchased from Ztrix (www.Ztrix.com) the YZ rear fender flares and front Subtle Z flares.  This will give me 3" extra clearance in the rear and 1.5" in the front!

I needed to figure something out for the wiring and had a custom harness made for the engine harness, that I have yet to install and try out. Also, I purchased a Painless wiring harness (www.painlessperformance.com).

TODO list till the next update!

1. Install the control arms

2. Install the wiring harnesses

3. Purchase the the radiator and install

4. Figure out a good gauge solution, I have been looking at RacePak clusters

• 9 months later...

I'm having to rewire the engine bay right now, does anybody have any self made diagrams at all? The manual diagrams are not helping me because the previous owner installed a security system and sound system. I really just need a diagram of the 10 pin connectors that are located underneath the passenger side of the dashboard, I'm trying to start from there are work forward. I have a 1972 240z.