HybridZ

390 FE FORD INTERCEPTOR P

zgeezer

:blink: The thing about shopping my favorite JY is every now and again I find something I don't need; but, it is so "rare", "unusual", or "neat" that I have to have it. I usually delude myself by thinking that I can always sell it on EBay for twice what I paid. Yesterday, true to form, I put the plastic down on something I don't really need, but I think someone out there would like to take off my hands for some trade.

Monday I take delivery on a 1964 Ford 390 police interceptor engine. This is out of a genuine "P" code car: a Ford Custom 500, with automatic transmission. Who knows if the engine is any good, but it has a double pump Ford Autolite carb [4100] that looks like a Holley... but isn't. Exhaust manifolds that are true works of art, a bundle of bananas cast in iron. Great looking and they must flow some decent numbers. A block that appears to have cross bolted mains [i can't really get in for a close look until Monday afternoon, but by feel there are either bolts there or some casting nubs. The alternator and water pump pulleys are double belted. There is a very large canister style fuel filter.... same one I recall on a certain '61 HP 390 375 hp thing I lusted after "back in the day".

A lot of rust, but the engine block color is certainly Ford gold; the valve covers are steel and embossed with "ThunderBird" not "Interceptor".

Can anyone here tell me more about this engine. I find a lot of information about the 427/428 FEs, but zilch relating to the 390's.

I understand that it should be a mechanical lifter cam and, I've been told, that the heads should be the same casting as the 427, but with a smaller combustion chamber. Can anyone confirm which head casting this thing should have and if it is, in fact, shared with any of the 427s?

I think this was rated at something around 330 hp.

I would be quite surprised if the engine is not frozen, but I'm a sucker for old houses, stray dogs, and old muscle cars about to be sold for scrap or as a core. Someone has to save them.

Any information would be appreciated.

G

Edited by zgeezer

Actually, I have the .38.... an old Smith and Wesson with a "long barrel", load as hell.

This big ugly is now mine... no going back. For the Ford archeologists in this forum, please help me determine if this engine has anything...cam, heads, rods and such in common with the '61 390 HiPo (375hp) Here are some Ford casting numbers: Heads C1AE 6090A; Intake Manifold C4(s?) 8425A. There are remnants of blue paint on the heads and block. I think, although the rust is really heavy, that the valve covers were painted gold.

That carb (yes, it is frozen) I'm sure is a 4100 Ford Autolight.....and a double pumper at that. I've not pulled the plugs and attempted to rotate the crank, but I did pull the oil dip stick and.... damn! that oil looks clear, just like a new oil change. This thing was abandoned for about 15 years out in the Palo Verde Valley near Blythe CA. Not a cop car. Nothing to indicate light bar or radio. No power brakes or power steering.... back in those days men were real men with hairy arms and parallel parking took skill a good eye, and superior upper body strength. [sorry, I've still not mastered the insertion of photos].

G

• 4 weeks later...

I think that I remember only the 406 and 427 engines were cross bolted.

All of the blocks were "Y" blocks w the main rails extending below the centerline of the crank for rigidity though.

I sold this to a Ford fanatic out in Apple Valley; nice guy. Really into FE's. The vehicle was a "P" code; he took a number of small parts including the speedometer. My engine had a non cop long block. The exhaust manifolds, carb, distributor and alternator were all original. He was happy, I'm happy, and some FE parts of some value are being used and not on the scrap heap.

Now, if I can only find someone interested in that Jensen GT dissolving away out in that yard's back yard..... waaay out back. Next to that Volvo 544 hulk.

I'm in the wrong trade; next time around, I'll ask the Man upstairs to put me into the world's largest wrecking lot, as an owner of course.

g

Edited by zgeezer

• 4 years later...

The FE series of engines from Ford are very heavy. Anything 390 or less just can't produce the HP but do have good torque which is needed to move big Detroit iron. The only FE engines worth their weight for the HP are the 427/428, but again, for a light car like the 240/260/280 they are heavy.

The best Ford engines for weight and HP are the Windsor series 302/5.0 or the 351 in respect to "cheap", while the new 4.6/5.4 modular engines are for those with a much bigger budget.