HybridZ

ARP head stud installation questions

inline6

Reading the instructions... doesn't quite give me the info I need. Block threads are clean. I put a bit of the lube that came with them on the threads that go in the block. I installed each as far as they would go, finger tight. Instructions call for 60 ft-lbs instead of factory torque settings.

That's it? Finger tight studs and 60 ft-lbs of torque once the head is in place?

Garrett

The molly lube that comes with it goes on the upper threads. And yes, that is it.

Oh. Yep, that makes sense that the lube goes on the nuts that get torqued. Any problems putting some of the lube on the threads that go in the block? I wouldn't think so...

Garrett

I bought ARP-studs too to my L28 and I'm going to put those with new kameari metalheadgasket. I bought 2 gaskets at the same time so that I don't have to order again soon. =D

But back to those ARP-studs.

I have always retorqued my head with stock bolts and metalheadgasket but have anyone of you retorqued with ARP-studs?

Finger tight?? Won't the studs pull out when attempting to remove the nuts to remove the head?

I pull the studs first whenever I remove the head. It makes it so much easier to remove and install.

I have the studs, still in the sealed box and haven't read the included instruction sheet at this point, but I'm having a hard time with realizing that 60 ft/lbs of torque is what they're calling for on a turbocharged motor.

The reason behind this is due to recently rebuilding and installing ARP head studs on my 91 Toyota Cressida with a 7MGE (NON-Turbo) and the instructions calling for 125 ft/lbs of torque being used on that engine. Both engines (L28 and 7MGE) use cast iron blocks with aluminum heads....so why the high torque spec on an NA engine and not on the Turbocharged one?

Now I'm NOT doubting the manufacturer's judgement or specs, just wondering why such a low torque requirement (by comparison) on a turbocharged engine whose cylinder pressures would be so much higher (under boost) than a normally aspirated engine with a higher compression ratio. Perhaps I'm just reading the requirements wrong and not taking the compression ratio differences into account, but still. It would seem (to me) that you'd want MORE torque on a turbocharged engine than an N/A one.

Am I the only one who sees this as strange? If so, perhaps I don't fully understand the concept in use. Anybody care to discuss this?

The ARP headstuds have a finer thread pitch for the nut that is being tq'd than what the OE head bolt has. Thus you need less ft/lbs to create more clamping force.

THE DIRECTIONS A VERY CLEAR THAT COME WITH THE HARDWARE!

It gives a tq spec for the molly lube and a spec for regular oil.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

QUESTION ??? I found a new set ARP studs after I installed my new p90 head with my regular factory studs, I intalled a new 1mm hks metal head , this engine has not been teuned on after this job and I now have the ARP can I removed the regular factory studs and intalled my ARP studs by sliding these thru the holes and screws these in with no issues can this be done without damaging the metal gasket and its performance? I really dont want to remove the head again = (

Edited by juan240z