HybridZ

Headlight relay for 260-280?

The only upgraded headlight relay I've seen works only on the 240 with the square plugs. I already bought the H4 bulbs to put in the car but there's no relay harness available for my 260, and I can't even find instructions to wire them up on my own. Help?

Get 2 bosch 30 amp relays and make your own.

A very basic and simple circuit.

post-3495-1274240355014_thumb.jpg

That diagram will not work.

The 280Z headlights turn on and off the 12+ and switch the grounds for high/low, so you have a 12v input and 2 grounds, one for low and one for high. If you do that, the lights will never turn on because the relays need 12+ to activate and they only get ground.

That diagram will not work.

The 280Z headlights turn on and off the 12+ and switch the grounds for high/low, so you have a 12v input and 2 grounds, one for low and one for high. If you do that, the lights will never turn on because the relays need 12+ to activate and they only get ground.

It's a Relay.

Use the diagram as a Guide. If you don't know how to wire it so it works.....

You need a basic education on electrical circuits. ;)

It's a Relay.

Use the diagram as a Guide. If you don't know how to wire it so it works.....

You need a basic education on electrical circuits. ;)

fixedheadlightdiagram.jpg

Ya, I know. BUUUT I bet someone out there would try it and then say it does not work. There are some people that are completely clueless when it comes to electrical stuff. I have a friend who is a board certified Anesthesiologist who can not wrap his head around how to wire a light switch in his house.

So, I played with MS Paint

fixedheadlightdiagram.jpg[/img]

EDIT: While I am being so precise, I should point out the 12V on/off switch is the headlight on/off switch.

Edited by Geking

I run an upgraded harness made by Dave. I got a 280Z. He has post available for the harness on ClassicZCar and I think on here as well. They cost a bit but are great and totally worth it you may need to supply him with the plugs though. I had both the Black Dragon one and Daves. Dave's is of higher quality in my opinion and is a direct plug and play.

Edited by Midnight-280Z

I run an upgraded harness made by Dave. I got a 280Z. He has post available for the harness on ClassicZCar and I think on here as well. They cost a bit but are great and totally worth it you may need to supply him with the plugs though. I had both the Black Dragon one and Daves. Dave's is of higher quality in my opinion and is a direct plug and play.

Who the heck is Dave?

Dave Irwin aka "Zs-ondabrain". He is an electrical guru when it comes to S30's. Dave hangs out on Classiczcars.com

Dave Irwin is Zs-ondabrin at classic zcars.com.

He can make a harness fo260 & 280Z. You just need to supply him with 3 plugs. He made a harness for my 76 280Z and it installed in about 15 minutes. It was extremely easy, no cutting or splicing was involved. The workmanship is excellent. He also makes a parking light harness and can refurbish turn signal/headlight combo switches at a very reasonable price.

The harness for 240Z's on the MSA site are made by Dave.

Dave Ruiz

Just got the BlackDragon harness in the mail and I'm a bit dismayed that the plugs are totally incompatable and there's only limited instructions on the back of the box.

I'm going to keep it because I don't feel like sending it back and waiting but I have no idea where to start cutting and splicing. Hell, I don't even know how to get the darn headlights OUT.

Does anyone know of a link with specific instructions or care to help a new guy out?

Just got the BlackDragon harness in the mail and I'm a bit dismayed that the plugs are totally incompatable and there's only limited instructions on the back of the box.

I'm going to keep it because I don't feel like sending it back and waiting but I have no idea where to start cutting and splicing. Hell, I don't even know how to get the darn headlights OUT.

Does anyone know of a link with specific instructions or care to help a new guy out?

I wired up some relays on my 240. No big deal. But...I had good advice from Dave (Zs-ondabrain) and others. I'd recommend you send the other one back and get the appropriate plugs and send them to Dave to make you a harness. Plan B would be to do it yourself. It doesn't sound like the kit you bought is worth keeping.

If you can't remove the headlights then you need a factory service manual or a Haynes manual before you go any further.

http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

Under the fender there are 3(I think 3) screws (Phillips) that hold the bucket to the front of the fender.

Then there are (I think again) 3 screws that holds the chrome light retaining ring. Be careful as there are 2 other screws that if messed with will throw your headlight out of alignment.

• 7 years later...

I know this is an old post but I did a relay mod today that worked. I wanted to use LED H4s but they were internally restricted to low beam OR high beam. The 78 280z doesn't turn the low off when high beam is selected so I did a two relay mod that corrected this. worked out great. 

78 Z headlight mod1.jpg

78 Z headlight mod.jpg