HybridZ

Daily Driver Stripped Interior

Two80z4me

I spent a while searching and couldn't find any factual facts (redundant lol) about stripping your interior, Ive taken most of the creature comforts out of my 280z anyway, so I thought Why not take out most of the rest.

What I wanted to know, is about how much weight can you shed off of the interior by taking out the rear deck and all of its fixings and the extra assorted clutter in the vehicle?

I know you like to know what the car is used for, so here you go;

The car is used for Daily Driving, back and forth to school and work for a short trip back and forth, on the other 75% of the time its being auto-x'd, track day, and the occasional cruise through town and late night drift sessions. Im going to be getting an autopower race cage and Seats and harness's soon anyway, so why not? give me what you got, in the form of clean stripped interior shots and ideas.

Thanks.

I spent a while searching and couldn't find any factual facts (redundant lol) about stripping your interior, Ive taken most of the creature comforts out of my 280z anyway, so I thought Why not take out most of the rest.

What I wanted to know, is about how much weight can you shed off of the interior by taking out the rear deck and all of its fixings and the extra assorted clutter in the vehicle?

I know you like to know what the car is used for, so here you go;

The car is used for Daily Driving, back and forth to school and work for a short trip back and forth, on the other 75% of the time its being auto-x'd, track day, and the occasional cruise through town and late night drift sessions. Im going to be getting an autopower race cage and Seats and harness's soon anyway, so why not? give me what you got, in the form of clean stripped interior shots and ideas.

Thanks.

I have a stripped interior and the datsun is my only car (public transportation during the week) Heat is held in nicely during the winter, it reeks of exhaust anyway, so not having anything else doesn't really do anything either way. I have an RB and its REALLY loud on the inside--- but not from exhaust drone--- just ambient noise that you don't notice unless there is someone else in the car you have to talk to and you realize how much you have to raise your voice to be heard. Regardless I wouldnt have it any other way--- I like the tin can feeling.

91.jpg

one pic. THe cage is going to be welded in soon, pulled back approx 6"- Thats where it was bolted in when I first got it-- and rather then make new holes I will be addint 1/4" thick material to the wells and welding the cage to that to bring the top bar back. Regardless- it has everything that you would want (minus a cupholder) and works great.

-Eric

gut the car you will enjoy it immensely. I have had 6ish street cars gutted, and it usually is the first thing I do as it is one of the cheapest modifications that you can do to your car.

as far as weight savings, it adds up quite quickly.

sound deadening - close to 15 pounds if memory serves me right

full interior (vinyl, plastic, door panels, heater core, ducts) - something like 40-50

seat swap saves you a good 20 pounds.

rear glass replacement with some lowes/homedepot lexan saves another 20ish.

sure some functionality goes, but it sure is awesome.

I love it. My 280z had nothing in it. No carpet. No nothing. I had stripped most of the sound deadening. It wasn't really any louder. I saved a bit. Never really took count. Your car is a 77-78 that has the extra press board crap to. You hear the rocks and crap. My exhaust was already loud enough I didn't hear it. No fart cannon or anything, just a stocker with 2 1/4 exhaust, no cat or anything, straight back then the muffler. All solid one part. I think its better that way anyway.

my car is already really loud, I dont think Im going to do a full strip, just from behind the seats back so I can fit the cage then maybe ill fab up some aluminum door panels to replace them, and my floor pans are good so ill see how I like the that while im at it. Itll look kinda silly until I get the cage in and new seats, but once i do itll look more like it means business than Im broke haha.

thanks for the feedback, and the cars lookin great as always, love the dash!

anyone have anymore photos of there interior?

I just gutted the back half, and layed the deck carpet back over the hatch area and it looks nice, but you maintain the not having the deck part.

Im going to gather the willpower to take off the driver carpets, im scared of what i might find lol...

does anyone have any good products that you can put over holes to reduce noise and fumes entering, all of my drain plugs are gonelol

anyone have anymore photos of there interior?

I just gutted the back half, and layed the deck carpet back over the hatch area and it looks nice, but you maintain the not having the deck part.

Im going to gather the willpower to take off the driver carpets, im scared of what i might find lol...

does anyone have any good products that you can put over holes to reduce noise and fumes entering, all of my drain plugs are gonelol

You can get rubber plugs in just about any size, or you can plug it with RTV.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently removed my carpet and center console from my '77. I like it a lot better than the old carpet, and am contemplating also removing the rear deck and the side paneling (speaker panels, A-Pillar, etc.). I'd like to get a 5th wheel when I get a set of wheels and put it in place of the old spare which would look cool through the hatch glass.

Here are a few before and afters:

Before (the driver's side is actually already removed, but you can't really tell here):

4564455483_7a9508cd64_b.jpg

4564454961_f25f2f04ca_b.jpg

4565087054_5cc886658d_b.jpg

After (before I removed the center console and cleaned the metal):

4567473350_2431c7dff7_b.jpg

I stripped the entire interior except for seats/dash/center console out of a '95 Integra GSR I had awhile back that had every kind of suspension and bolt-on chassis modification done except a full roll cage and had an AEM Intake/JDM ITR 4-1 header/Apex'i Exhaust...the car was loud but not rice-boy fartcan style, just throaty...it got REAL F'IN LOUD with no interior.

I lasted for about a week...I hated every second of it. Rattles and chassis squeaks that were annoying before were mind-numbingly loud and hearing every single piece of gravel thrown off my Yokohama AVS Intermediates into the wheelwells drove me crazy.

A Z would probably be different because it doesn't have as much sound deadening or interior comforts to begin with anyway and the chassis isn't as stiff so it probably wouldn't be as bad.

91.jpg

What do you do when you want to open the passenger window? Shared window crank?

My friend used to have a crx and he lost the clip for the window crank on the passenger side. He would keep the crank in his door pocket and make passengers ask for it if they wanted ventilation.

haha both my window clips broke so I took both mine off, so I just make it a privealage for the passenger to have their window rolled down.

Well, I removed my back deck area and deadening, I like it alot. when Im not racing I just throw the deck carpet back over it and the interior looks stock.

• 10 months later...