HybridZ

A/C hose material?

Nismo280zEd

Ok so my Subaru has a leak on the high pressure hose where the actual hose meets the fitting (the crimps are leaking)

It's 153 dollars to replace this hose that is 2 feet long, if that. The connection to the compressor and condensor are NOT leaking, just where the rubber meets the metal connections.

So... being a college student and wanting my money to go as far as possible.... I started doing some research.

From what I'm finding, a/c hose is hydraulic hose? I know like a 500psi working pressure would be plenty for the a/c system on the car. If so... I was thinking of cutting off the metal crimps on the al tubing, using some swadgelok fittings to convert to a suitable thread NPT probably? Then I can just get 2' of hydraulic hose (cheap) and have two standard NPT fittings installed on the end and fix my hose right? So i'm also thinking of installing a pressure gauge on a T fitting if I go this route (maybe) just to monitor things.

At anyrate, can anybody confirm what kind of hose is compatible with R134a refrigerant? I saw a gates hose that was nylon lined, the hydraulic hose I was looking at is oil reistant and neoprene lined. http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/SAE_100R1AT_Hydraulic_Hose_p/r1-hose.htm

Would this idea work?

Thanks,

-Ed

Have you tried going to an AC or hotrod shop? Even if the ends that fit your car are special you can cut the crimp sleeve off and reuse the inner part with a new sleeve and line. I would probably charge you about $50 to remake that line if you brought it in. Adding all kinds of adapters and fittings is just inviting more leaks IMO.

Have you tried going to an AC or hotrod shop? Even if the ends that fit your car are special you can cut the crimp sleeve off and reuse the inner part with a new sleeve and line. I would probably charge you about $50 to remake that line if you brought it in. Adding all kinds of adapters and fittings is just inviting more leaks IMO.

I figured most AC shops would just want me to replace the line. I wasn't aware you could put in new hose and "re-crimp", thanks for the advice. I'll have to make a few phone calls I guess.

The hose you replace it with... is it just hydraulic hose? -curious-

-Ed

http://www.rayeveritt.com/Parts/Hoses/Hoses.html

I had him make some hoses for my car. I don't remember how much it cost, but it was less than a local AC shop wanted.

Was this for an early Z car? The site you listed does not show any metric compression fittings (only metric O-ring fittings). I would think the female O-ring fittings would leak if you attempted to mate them with male compression fittings.