HybridZ

Heat reflective paint/material on intake manifold?

During my Saturday afternoon bordem I got to thinking about how my exhaust manifold and turbo being right under the intake manifold is probably heating it up quite a bit.

Have any of you guys ever dabbled in the idea of my spraying heat reflective paint over the intake manifold or atleast putting that gold heat reflective material on the bottom of it? Something along those lines, I'm just curious to see if anyone's experimented with it and noticed anything from cooler intake temps or even increased MPG/power.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/65005-intake-mani-portingtoo-much-for-a-newb/page__st__20__p__609736__hl__ported%20n42%20intake__fromsearch__1entry609736

Coating the exhaust manifold and the heat shield would yield better results, I coated the intake manifold because I had been given a partial bottle of Techline CBX and figuered an extra thermal barrier couldn't hurt with the exhaust and turbo right under the intake. Testing with a lazer thermometer of a friends intake with a uncoated exhaust, heat shield and intake was a 40* difference between mine with all items coated.

Most interesting fellas, appreciate the ideas.

Also I was considering what other options I had as far as getting another manifold all together. When I bought the car it came with "custom" one that I honestly can't see how it could flow too much better than stock (in regards to shape) except for the fact that it could push and contain more air.

Picture of it in the for sale before I got it:

dvhbut.jpg

I cleaned up the engine bay a bit before I left to be stationed overseas, but I would think something more rounded would flow nicer than something that rectangular. And yup, the welds on all the corners look good, but the welds next to the throttle body, not so much lol. I still need to do something with all the tacky wiring, eeeeesh....

Before I left it I got a DEI turbo blanket for it and noticed quicker spool from that alone, but I was really going for lower under hood temps.

I noticed your location is Tucson. I was stationed there 3+ years and never seen you around!

Edited by LoneStarS30Z

I realize this thread's about a week old but I thought I'd chime in anyways. I just finally got my new f54 block installed. It came out of an '81 zx non turbo and had the hair drier fan installed to blow cold air over the top of the intake manifold. Unfortunately for me the jerkface at the junkyard I got it from dropped it as he was loading it into the truck, busted the hairdrier. Since this is the first of these I've actually seen in the wild I'm wondering how rare they are these days. That would probably yield a better temperature decrease than coating the manifolds, and it looks pretty neat mounted to the engine. I'm thinking of getting some black gorilla tape and patching mine and using it too thanks to the three belt pully that I can NOT remove (I broke 2 pullers and my rubber mallet trying to remove it) I had to trim the clutch fan for clearance. I'll probably also have to add a push fan in front of the radiator.