HybridZ

eBay 3 core radiator

Why do you need a new one, the original unit is usually a pretty decent cooler. Also If you don't want "limited" brand (read ebay specials) rads then you can do the SR20/S13 alum rad swap. Just make some mounting brackets and you have a wider choice of "brand name" rads to go for. I believe a koyo rad would only cost like $100 more and there are plently others for about $50 more.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/884401/sr20det-aluminum-radiator

I've been on the hunt for a better radiator, since I got stuck with the automatic transmission one, with the integrated transmission cooler. It's the last holdover from the car's pre-T-5 days, and now that I have a water cooled turbo, I'm noticing my temperatures starting to climb into the 190-200ËšF range.

Shweet. Thanks guys, when I can scrounge up the cash, I'm going to go ahead and get one. I also just found that my T fittings to the turbo were made of the cheap kind of plastic, and were starting to cave in and melt. :blink: Replaced now, but Z31 ECU swap woes are preventing me from driving around and checking out my temps.

Also, just picked up a '67 Roadster, and now I have to decide where to spend my money... ;)

Still, there are worse things to have to decide between!

I bought one from ledfoot racing on Ebay and love it. It looks "Kinda" like a 240z rad and I used the extra mounting tabs to mount a bracket for two 10" fans instead of the plastic through the rad style zips. Good amount of room too even with the 2.5" inter cooler tubing and its a huge 3 row as well. I wondered if it was going to fit when I pulled it out of the box... Even said Champion on the cap! I think the design looks a lot better and the guy swapped mine out when the first one was not the prettiest. It amazes me when Ebayers do what I think they should!

post-2846-1275883660835_thumb.jpg

Edited by tyler031734

• 1 month later...

Well... I got the thing installed. Not a Champion, and not really what I expected. Very big, very light, but... ummm...

Very... Barebones. As in, no drain plug. Also the inlet and outlet were about 1/8" too small for 280ZX hoses. I'm not sure if this is a known size difference that I should have considered before buying this thing, but regardless, there's some teflon tape being blatantly abused on each fitting.

Definitely get what you pay for with this one. Does keep my temps cooler than they were, but I'm also about to reroute my turbo's water lines. I don't think it was a good idea to route them in parallel with the heater core, and they really should be from the water pump inlet - turbo - thermostat housing as I think it was TonyD suggested, and I know Big Phil has a video of a similar setup.