HybridZ

How light can you make an LS2 240z?

I've been a long time lurker and I love this forum. You guys are wonderful.

I recently sold a Cobra replica and I'm researching my next project.

I've always liked Zs and have owned my fair share. My first was a '76 280, followed by an '80 ZX and the last was an '83 2+2.

I'm interested in building a 240z/LS2 combo. It'll be street legal, but barely. My plan is for it to be fairly dedicated to Autocross, pro solo and HPDEs. Cage, fuel cell and stripped interior and a YZ widebody kit are the plan. I've been autocrossing for a while now and have learned how important light weight is for any sort of competition car. I plan to get rid of as much steel paneling as possible and use fiberglass where ever I can.

Any recommendations on adding lightness will be appreciated. I'm in the earliest stages of my research, so I'm looking for all the advice I can find.

Thanks again for having such a great forum!

John

Start with a search. There have been many threads about fiberglass, lexan windows, etc.

One suggestion is to keep the stock tank. Fuel cell is pretty heavy compared to the tank. I think my stock 240 tank weighed about 8 lbs, my 12 gallon Fuel Safe cell weighs 30+. It's much heavier than the alternative of a stock tank and a surge tank.

How light do you want it to be? ;)

I'd start here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/32264-complete-engine-weights-table/page__st__40__p__780573__hl__engine%20weights__fromsearch__1entry780573

FYI my turbo swapped [No A/C, No bumpers, missing lots of factory things] 1978 280Z weighs in at 2470 lbs without me in it.

If you don't care about amenities, you can safely get it down to a pretty good weight.

The LSX is not significantly different in weight from the L28, from what I've gathered. Check out that weights thread for more detailed info.

Do you know what prepared class you'd be in while running Solo events? I'm moving to prepared with the motor swap I'm planning next summer. I'm currently getting my arse handed to me by Corvettes and turbo FDs in SSM :D

Edited by flatblack280

This is similar work to what I had done to mine prior to putting it back on the street. In race trim, with race rubber and wheels, and the LS, I'd say 2150. I've heard of lighter, but cannot fathom how being my Z's exterior was 90% fiberglass, no side windows, fiberglass door skins only, Lexan rear window, and minimal wiring and lighting. I did have large brakes which added weight. My LS2 was 345 lbs on the pallet, and just at 400 lbs fully dressed.

Edited by blueovalz

How fast do you want to spend? My 240Z is ~2350 lb without any expensive weight reduction. You cold probably get down to ~2000-2100 lb if you were willing to spend the $$ and take the complete gut route (remove side windows, gut doors, toss the dash, ditch the bumpers) which I have not. Expensive stuff I'm talking about stuff include light weight trans / aluminum flywheel (T56 is huge), small battery, CF body panels, Lexan windows, light weight wheels, two piece rotors, etc, etc.

Cameron

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm leaning toward the lexan rear window and possibly sides. Since it will see street duty, (driving to and from events) completely replacing the side windows with immobile lexan isn't terribly appealing. I do plan on pulling out any amenity )heater, dash, radio, etc. Anyone done any comparisons between a carb setup and EFI on the LS2?

Depending on what a motor costs, I may elect not to use the T56. I had a TKO600 in my Cobra and it was plenty strong and reletively light. From my research it looks to be about 45lbs. lighter than the T56.

Blue oval, I've visited your site. Nice work! Having worked with the 302 motors quite a bit, that's still an option. I had a supercharged 306 in the Cobra and it had 471hp at the wheels. However, the availability and tunability of the LS family are making me lean toward the Chevy motor. My dream would be an aluminum Dart 302 block bored and stroked to 370 or so, with a TKO 600. But, since were talking $10K versus maybe $5K, it's not in the cards right now.

Thanks for the great ideas!

Looking forward to rejoining the Z car family!

Cheers!

John