HybridZ

Methanol Tank Mounting

e_racer1999

I've got a 1 gallon AEM water/meth tank that I am planning on mounting, and was curious to see where people are putting theirs. I had thought about a place in the engine bay, but there doesn't seem to be a good spot and I would like the double confirmation of being able to see my fluid level from the cabin. So far I was thinking about right behind the passenger seat or in the passenger floor board, but it doesn't seem to fit terribly well in either location; behind the pass seat it's slightly too tall. Of note: I will be running full interior.

I would not want a meth tank in the car with me. Simply attach a float to an LED for level indication. There are a few meth injection kit suppliers that have these set-ups pre-made.

I have a 3 quart tank mounted under the inspection panel on the driver's side.

Idon't have the dimensions readily available; I already have the battery relocated to the rear. The tank ALMOST fits there, but would require the removal of the tray. This may be my best option.

Also I won't be running anything more than. 50/50, so the mixture won't be flammable. The tank does have a sensor that lights an in dash LED, but it's awfully close to the bottom.

You could always buy a different tank. I bought mine after searching for hours for a specific dimension tank to fit my particular location. I bought mine from US Plastic, but after just checking their website I see they no longer carry the style I am using.

Edited by ktm

I mounted mine up front where it was hidden and would stay cool, I used a smaller 1/2 gallon tank though with a low level light. The smaller tank was plenty for normal driving and at the dragstrip I would just fill it up every so often. You could not see the tank from the outside and the entire setup was pretty hidden.

If you have a rediculous I/C this wont work though.

http://gallery.voodoo-people.com/albums/album915/verticle_IC_005.jpg

I mounted mine up front where it was hidden and would stay cool, I used a smaller 1/2 gallon tank though with a low level light. The smaller tank was plenty for normal driving and at the dragstrip I would just fill it up every so often. You could not see the tank from the outside and the entire setup was pretty hidden.

If you have a rediculous I/C this wont work though.

http://gallery.voodoo-people.com/albums/album915/verticle_IC_005.jpg

That's a nifty idea. I may be able to fit it there; my IC is only 28*8. I will mock it up. Otherwise I will probably drill out the spot welds for my battery tray and put it there.

As far as buying another tank, if I were to buy one it would be bigger and even more of a pain to shoehorn. This is going to be a weekend car for the most part, but having a smaller tank doesn't quite appeal to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very close to dropping the motor in, so soon I will be able to take measurements and test fit in the engine bay. I've got the battery tray 90% out; decided to cut and grind vs drill out spot welds because I don't have a 90* drill attachment. Took a couple measurements and it looks like it will baaarely fit in the battery location. Will post results.

How are are you going to run the lines from the tank to the pump and pump to the nozzles/injectors? My setup feeds my pump by gravity which is nice since it is self priming.

I kept cracking the damn nylon hose right at the compression fittings, so I ran all stainless steel hardlines from my tank to the pump and pump to the two high speed solenoid injectors.

• 2 weeks later...

I would advise against installing in the passenger compartment. I mounted my 3 Qt tank in the stock battery location and relocated the battery to between the rear strut towers under the strut brace. I added a low level float and warning light on the dash. I fab'd an insulated barrier that drops the temp at the tank by about 100 degrees. I installed the pump under the tank in the wheel well and fab'd a cover out of sheet metal. It's a very compact install, short hose runs everywhere.

Sorry for the lack of update. I have yet to get the motor in the car (going to put it in this weekend hopefully so I can start mocking stuff up and get the IC piping and exhaust fabbed up, as well as get the placing of everything in the engine bay figured out). As for the lines, I was thinking something exactly as Bob is describing; since it's on the "cold" side of the engine I should have ample space to run the lines without interference.

My lines are very short as well. My 3 qt tank is between the clutch master cylinder and the inner fender under the inspection hood. I use stainless steel tubing from the tank to the pump which is located about even with the water pump pulley along the inner fender. My line from the pump to the solenoids is less than 1 foot long of stainless steel tubing.

The tank is wrapped in heat reflective tape and the feed hose to the pump is wrapped in flame retardant reflective insulation from Goodridge.