My new daily driver selection.

cygnusx1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still say audi quattro :) Old school at that.....

We have a 97 Audi Quattro wagon and I will just say its falling apart. The transmission is almost gone, they are nice cars but when they get high miles on them its a hassle because most of the time you can't work on it yourself and everything is way expensive. When we had to change the thermostat we literally had to take off the whole front of the engine to get to it, which included the timing belt and a pulley. Not saying they are horrible cars because they are pretty reliable, its just they cost a lot to maintain.

I love Audi's, Subarus, Saabs, all the "cold weather" AWD cars but I have this bug that REALLY likes the styling and comforts of the 3 series.  I am expanding my search to include....used...

328xi

330xi 

and

335xi   :twisted:

I may regret buying a car that might go into a cocoon someday, and come out as a money pit, but at least I will enjoy it for a while.  The depreciation on these cars is really steep at the beginning so there are some REALLY nice deals out there.  I am rolling the dice a little, but hey, you only live once.  

What pushed me over the edge was the third grade girl that suddenly passed away in my wife's class last week.  It makes you think, and changes you a little.  Follow your heart a little.

I drove the 330xi last weekend and it was awesome as far as a daily driver but fast it was not.

The 335's are coming surprisingly close in price to the 330 and the 328's

Paul,

Now that's what I'm talking about....AWD Launches are nice.

300 ft-lbs at 1500rpm stock!

Edited by cygnusx1

Well if you ever want a small economical AWD there is always the Suzuki SX4, add some stickers maybe some spoilers and a K&N air filter and you can take out the Honda boys all day long.

SuzukiSX4_01.JPG

LARGE.jpg

Edited by 19752802+2

Wow just got some sobering facts regarding the TT 3.0 in the bimmers.  They run high pressure direct fuel injection from a mechanical fuel pump.  The fuel pumps are showing almost a 100% failure rate and a 70% failure rate on replacement pumps.   :blink: After four years, the problem has only been marginally improved.  BMW extended the pump warranty to 10yrs/120k miles but people are having to change these things as often as every 5,000 miles.  YIKES.  Poor starting, and limp mode on the highway are the symptoms.  I think I need to stick with my original idea of the 330xi non-turbo and suck up the lack of power for now.

Maybe I can Megasquirt/Ethanol a 335xi and show BMW how it's supposed to be done?

The ZHP is really nice but I can't find any in xi trim for 2006.  The single year model, 2006 330xi, came with 255hp which, I think, was more than the 2005 ZHP's anyway.  

I am testing a dealer owned white/black '06 330xi, 42k miles, this afternoon.  Friday, I am going to see a local '06 330xi with the sport/winter package, 18" wheels, spare 17" with snows, premium sound, black/black, 7/100k warranty 55k miles.  Game is on, and I think I need to pass on the 335's due to reliability prob's :-( 

Here are some 2006 330xi spes.

• 2,996 cc 3 liters in-line 6 front engine with 85 mm bore, 88 mm stroke, 10.7 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder

• Premium unleaded fuel 91

• Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 28 and EPA city (mpg): 19

• Multi-point injection fuel system

• 15.9 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank

• Power: 190 kW , 255 HP SAE @ 6,600 rpm; 220 ft lb , 298 Nm @ 2,750 rpm

01.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

Have you looked at newer Subarus like the Legacy? Seems like it would fit your needs pretty well.

I like that idea :)

I know your bug eye wasn't making you happy anymore, but if I had the income to afford it, this would for sure be my new DD

2005-2009 Legacy GT. 2.5L Turbo, 5MT, 250AWHP... Not too shabby. IMO it's a gorgeous car [for a sedan anyways].

05_subaru_legacy_gt_500.jpg

The Spec B had a 6 Speed option.

Edited by flatblack280

Funny, my sister in law gave us crap about buying a BMW saying it was an image thing and we paid for image and all that...so I looked up her Chevy Equinox that she paid $28k for and it's only worth about $18k 2 years later... Now I DOUBT my 43K mile CPO BMW is going to lose $10K in two years.....since I paid a little more than her Equinox is worth now, and the bimmer is twice the vehicle.  Hey even if it does...at least I got a lot of style, thrills, and bells and whistles, for my money.  :rolleyes:  Maybe even an AWD LS1 in the future is possible!?

I drove it home from the dealer tonight and what a joy.  It really is an amazing package.

901644102_qbd5o-M.jpg

901644674_xdo93-M.jpg

901645068_6bNuk-M.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

• Administrators

Funny, my sister in law gave us crap about buying a BMW saying it was an image thing and we paid for image and all that...

Some people own BMW's because there is, in fact, a difference. Screw image. I want a skillful, tactile, AND pleasant car. Not many manufactures bare the fruit.

Some people own BMW's because there is, in fact, a difference. Screw image. I want a skillful, tactile, AND pleasant car. Not many manufactures bare the fruit.

Bald, 42, unemployed, slightly overweight...image schmimage....thanks to my very supportive wife I can still play.   :D

Edited by cygnusx1

Don't be so sure about that one... BMWs are not immune to this economy... Resale on my business partner's 2005 5 series was pretty bad when he priced it...

And don't even get me started on how much prices dropped on Porsche Turbos...

Mike

Funny, my sister in law gave us crap about buying a BMW saying it was an image thing and we paid for image and all that...so I looked up her Chevy Equinox that she paid $28k for and it's only worth about $18k 2 years later... Now I DOUBT my 43K mile CPO BMW is going to lose $10K in two years.....since I paid a little more than her Equinox is worth now, and the bimmer is twice the vehicle.  Hey even if it does...at least I got a lot of style, thrills, and bells and whistles, for my money.  :rolleyes:  Maybe even an AWD LS1 in the future is possible!?

I drove it home from the dealer tonight and what a joy.  It really is an amazing package.

901644102_qbd5o-M.jpg

901644674_xdo93-M.jpg

901645068_6bNuk-M.jpg