HybridZ

Do my eyes decieve me or is this a Datsun based replica?

rturbo 930

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 365 GTB? Really? The same 365 GTB with this sort of windshield rake and rounded top corners?

You're trying to tell me that it's the same rake as the one in the video?

Also, where did the vent windows go? How did you change the entire shape of the doors?

Even if it is a Datsun body somehow grafted to the 365 underpinnings, where did they make up for the extra 3+" of wheelbase that the 365 has over the Z?

72-Ferrari-365GTB4-034.jpg

post-2948-1275627829217_thumb.jpg

Edited by blue72

Guest starfox07

A 365 GTB? Really? The same 365 GTB with this sort of windshield rake and rounded top corners?

You're trying to tell me that it's the same rake as this?

72-Ferrari-365GTB4-034.jpg

You guys are forgetting that all classic Ferraris were body-on-frame affairs. This means that there are no strut towers and vis-a-vis, no strut tower braces. You can clearly see a large one on the rear in the video. Whatever the car is, it is a unibody which is extremely un-Ferrari.

Edited by starfox07

Even if it is a Datsun body somehow grafted to the 365 underpinnings, where did they make up for the extra 3+" of wheelbase that the 365 has over the Z?
Actually, someone has indeed lengthened the S30 to look more like a real Ferrari. However, I know of only one person doing this, and IIRC, it was user "michelle" on here.

Also, just took a peek at the youtube comments. Loved seeing all the "It's a Datsun!" comments, and his poor rebuttals. The entire interior is replicated to look like a Datsun replica? Oookay.

To his credit though, I think it is plausible that it does have a genuine Ferrari V12, based on a little research I did, since I'm not really familiar with classic Ferraris, although I'm really not convinced it is what he claims it is, although it appears it is now just a Ferrari driveline in a Datsun according to him. :rolleyes:

To recap,

First: "It's a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Engine, chassis, and driveline. I saw the stampings. I have seen the Datsun replicas, this isn't one of them."

and: "I saw Ferrari stampings on the engine, and the car was built in 1968, before the 240z even came out. George bought it as is, from the original owner who did the re-body in 1968. It's not a real 250, but it's definitely a real Ferrari."

Then: "we have never said this body is from a Ferrari, nor the interior. Of course the body panels and interior stuff is from something else. Remember, he said "frankenstein of parts." Replica body on a real ferrari chassis and driveline. registered and stamped as a ferrari. I read the thread, and everyone's supposed "call-outs" don't say anything about the parts we claim are real ferrari. the body and interior are replicas..... "

Now: "The car is exactly what George claimed it is: a "frankenstein of parts." The engine, transmission, and suspension is a V12 from a 1968 365 GTB/4. That car was crashed in the 1970's and turned into this car. The body and interior are not authentic Ferrari pieces. Some of the interior trim is, other pieces are from Datsun or other places. It looks, feels, and sounds the part, but instead of "

Love how the story changed.

Edited by rturbo 930

He just replied to me......

@rwdisgreaterthanfwd I have re-confirmed with the owner. He represented it accurately in the video as "a frankenstein" of parts, including all the trim, body pieces, and interior parts you're probably talking about to "prove" it's a Datsun. There are Datsun trim pieces integrated into the car. He also re-confirmed that it is powered by a Ferrari V12, with the suspension, chassis, and driveline of a Ferrari.

He just replied to me......

@rwdisgreaterthanfwd I have re-confirmed with the owner. He represented it accurately in the video as "a frankenstein" of parts, including all the trim, body pieces, chassis/shell, pretty much the whole car and interior parts you're probably talking about to "prove" it's a Datsun. There are Datsun trim pieces integrated into the car. He also re-confirmed that it is powered by a Ferrari V12, with the suspension, chassis, and driveline of a Ferrari.

I edited your post. ;)

Edited by GodZilla

EVERY Ferarri owner I can think of will JUMP to open the hood of the car when asked, if for no other reason to hear the mournful souls ogling his conveyance... Even if it was just the engine, they would pop the hood to SHOW YOU THE FERRARI. Having driven and listened to those cars since I was a child, this car sure as hell sounds like my 1973 240Z with Triple Webers...nothing more. It is not a screaching banshee Ferrari, nor is it a Jag V12, either.

This guy is so full of B.S. about the car he has it's not funny. I guess this was his '15 minutes of fame'... You want to hear something inspirational (far more so than the engine in that car---a REAL small bore screamer, go here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DemonoidCFH#p/a/u/2/b9yGNnONPB0 )

If I had gone through the trouble of grafting a REAL Ferarri frame and engine into a damned DATSUN (which is what this chassis is, no doubt about it it IS 'one of those Datsun Replicas') I sure as hell would pop the hood to SHOW THE WORK!

Come to think of it, I'm posting this EXACT post as a new comment there right now...

I must have offended the guy in some fashion...as I am unable to post any more comments to that viedo.

Perhaps someone else can 'cut and paste' my above reply to his little B.S. Video.

He wants to hear something screaming, I'll give him something screaming. I'll give him what that car COULD have sounded like. As it sits it's not a 'Well weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air' moment...

I wonder how long it will take the owner to google some pics of a Ferrari engine bay?

@365daytonafan I know someone else who has a BMW 12 in one of these cars, and this sounds way different. The owner has agreed to send us engine photos which we will post on our website to clear up this silly mess.

TheSmokingTire 4 minutes ago

At first i thought it might be real but after all the evidence to light there is no way. I posted on there we dont need a engine shot a under body shot will suffice from the floor pans to hey the oil pan and we will know. I mean a 250gto sells for 6-10 million how much would a body be....2 1.5million alone. Then lets figure in a crashed 365? Then labor to do the swap? I think this guy has been living around artards for so long he tells them 365 because hey...some of the lines match a s30. When in fact if the dude was just like hey check out my 30,000 replica people would still like it. I love 250 gtos clones and all.

At first i thought it might be real but after all the evidence to light there is no way. I posted on there we dont need a engine shot a under body shot will suffice from the floor pans to hey the oil pan and we will know. I mean a 250gto sells for 6-10 million how much would a body be....2 1.5million alone. Then lets figure in a crashed 365? Then labor to do the swap? I think this guy has been living around artards for so long he tells them 365 because hey...some of the lines match a s30. When in fact if the dude was just like hey check out my 30,000 replica people would still like it. I love 250 gtos clones and all.

Couldn't agree more.

Here's my take: It looks good. Really good. I understand that if you can't afford a Ferrari 250GTO, you build a replica or acquire one. There is no hatred on hybrids, replicas, or kit cars. What we are angry about is the fact that he lies about it, and blatantly keeps pointing out that it's a Ferrari, when it isn't one

Yeah, he was claiming it was a Ferrari made to look like another Ferrari. If he wants a fake Ferrari, fine, but don't try to pass it off as anything but what it actually is: A Datsun, possibly with a Ferrari driveline. When he said "rebodied Ferrari 365GTB made to look like a 250 GTO" or "365 GTB chassis" I am going to assume it is a 365GTB with a body kit. As seen in what I quoted from the comments section, it is clear he was trying to hide/argue the fact it's a Datsun.