HybridZ

240z buying advice

Hey guys i'm new to this forum but not to z's, I have an opportunity to buy a 240z which needs restoration for $1000.00 i was wondering if there was a place on the car i should be looking for damage like the frame rails or floor pans? i'll post some pics and let me know what you guys think.

Looks like a diamond in the ruff to me, but i'm not familiar with the 71's i have an 82. Let me know guys he's going to send me more pics soon of the frame etc.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

post-11395-12756503034456_thumb.jpeg

post-11395-12756503150979_thumb.jpeg

Well I was talking to the guy today, he say there are pinholes in one of the floor pans but the frame rock solid, he says that the quarter panels or rear fenders are fiberglass the car was like that since he's owned it. Is that right or do they come with steel quarters?

The quarter panels are steel and part of the unibody. I can see rust on them in the pics. I would seriously question anybody who says an old Z is "rock solid" especially if its been sitting in the weather like that one. Don't buy it without seeing it first.

Sunny got most of the problem areas. Also check on the bottom of the hatch and on the body around the rear hatch area.

well this kinda sucks I'm not sure what i should do, I really want a 240z to put my rebuilt engine in, i have an 82 2+2 but the frame rails are bad, I live in Canada and it's not easy finding a 240z here in good shape, I paint and do body work myself for quite some time now so paint doesn't bother me but I don't wanna fool around with unibody chassis's, think it's worth $1000 and the work that i'm going to get into? Thanks for all the replies guys.

Scott

Hate to be so difficult, but it is worth what people are willing to pay. Where I live that would be gone in a week, in CA not so sure. I think you need more info like a personal inspection or very detailed pics of the frame rails.

Guest Jay Shev

I would just go and look at it and then decide what you want to pay (as stated above). If you have the ability to fix a lot of the issues, then it might be time for some creative haggling, since you also know what it takes to repair the damage.

I have some more pics guys they are kinda big though man not sure to go with it or not, I live in Newfoundland, and the car is in Alberta so looking at it is out of the question, shipping will cost me $1500 can you order frame rail replacements? or would i have to build my own? Thanks guys for all the help i need all the advice i can get i'm not familiar with the older z's but i love them.

post-11395-127593962655_thumb.jpg

post-11395-12759398073245_thumb.jpg

post-11395-12759398264176_thumb.jpg

post-11395-12759398401531_thumb.jpg

Yeah "rock solid" my ass! That car needs some serious metal work if you're going to replace all the rust. From the pictures, it needs new rockers and rear quarter panels. I'm going to guess the frame rails are rusted out too. You can buy frame rails from Zedd Findings or Baddog.

considered done guys i'm leaving the car there, thanks for all the advice you guys are awesome. I have to get my passport all figured out then i think i may go to the states and get one, to bad i couldn't find one close to home but i guess it's always going to be the same problems down here with the rust.

thanks again,

Scott