HybridZ

Transmissions

zdude123

I have searched google and hybridz for answers but nothing came up. I had a 280zx non turbo motor in my 78 280z. This morning i did the L28 turbo swap and when it came time to install the tranny it juat wont fit. I am using a 5 speed that i had in it originaly with the non turbo motor. I thing i might be doing somthing wrong or it might be a differnt bell housing i guess. Are all early z transmissions the same?

sorry if i sound confusing. Iam trying to write and stay awake at the same time haha (exhausted from doing the swap)

even 3/4 asleep, I think most people would notice the difference between a flywheel with a clutch assembly bolted to it, and a flex plate with a torque converter torus bolted to it...

True, but if he swapped the auto flex plate and the flywheel and didn't remove that little bushing .... can you expound on the fitment issue other than it just won't fit? Issues getting lined up, bolt pattern, etc.

The motor came off an auto. The holes on the tranny and motor dont line up correctly. Just off by a little bit, not to much. I forgot what its called but the motor has this nipple that sticks out where the tranny bolts to and the tranny has it to. so when i put the motor and tranny together the 2 nipples touch each other. Is this right or does the nipple go into the other nipple. Ill post up some pics in a few so you can see what iam talking about.

Thanks for the help =]

i was just going to write, all i had to do is remove the alignment dowels haha. It fits now. Thank you for your help =]

Now iam trying to figure out where everything connets to haha. I have 2 more questions. where do i mount the stock oil cooler at? Should i just remove it?

True, but if he swapped the auto flex plate and the flywheel and didn't remove that little bushing .... can you expound on the fitment issue other than it just won't fit? Issues getting lined up, bolt pattern, etc.

Yep, thanks JSM.

now i have another problem. The car doesnt want to crank. The starter is spinning but its not turning the flywheel

Like JSM said, theres a little 1/8th inch spacer between the end of the crankshaft and the flexplate, if you forget to remove this and put a flywheel on the flywheel will be too far away from the starter pinion to engage.

Either that or the starter is not working, but if it worked before there is no reason why it should not work now.

Like JSM said, theres a little 1/8th inch spacer between the end of the crankshaft and the flexplate, if you forget to remove this and put a flywheel on the flywheel will be too far away from the starter pinion to engage.

Either that or the starter is not working, but if it worked before there is no reason why it should not work now.

He's right, The same thing happened to me, You have to pull the tranny back out, take off the clutch/flywheel. There will be a spacer plate on the end of the crank that you will need to pop off. Sucks lol.

damn haha, ill drop the tranny this weekend. Do i need the drop resistor from the car that i pull the engine from. sorry for all the questions. This is my first swap on a z. I also bought the haynes manual so hopfully it will help me out alot.