HybridZ

fuel injected L26

432-r

I was wondering if a L26 can be fuel injected [using either L28e or L28et intake] using the factory 280zx/280zxt ECU? [assuming i have a head which can handle injection eg p79]. Or does it need a custom ECU? i am currently running L28E electronic dizzy.

Reason i ask is that i have a carby L26 with a fresh bottom end with matching numbers so was hoping to utilise it.

plan was to maybe go ET down the track. I like the idea of having a L26ET for a 260z [and not having to take the engine out]

thanks,

Peter

AU 260z coupe 1975

Ummm, Yes. You might have to tune the AFM just a ******. But yes. It will work

how do you tune a afm? with the afm tune will will the motor run smoothly? has anyone run a l26 with injection using a L28 ECU?

The displacement difference between the l26 and l28 could be a problem. I understand the afm from the maxima l24 efi has a much different eletrical curve versus the l28 afm and can not be tuned to run properly on an l24. The l28 efi, afm and injectors are tuned for the l28 displacement which can be made to run a on different engine or different displacement of datsun Lseries 6 cylinder but probably cannot be tuned for 100% smooth operation under all conditions. Best bet is use an injector that is the same percentage smaller in flow vs the l28 injector, then the chances of getting the l28 efi to to run smoothly in most or all conditions will be better or install an l28 under the l28 efi.

Tom

...i have a carby L26 with a fresh bottom end with matching numbers so was hoping to utilise it.

plan was to maybe go ET down the track. I like the idea of having a L26ET for a 260z [and not having to take the engine out]

thanks,

Peter

AU 260z coupe 1975

Uh, the 260Z block is not provisioned for EFI, i.e., the cressant-shaped notches in the block for the injectors to spray into cylinders are not there; it won't run `cause the injectors spray on the block above the ports and the fuel 'drips' down into the hole. You would have to file the holes to make the (cressant) notches for the injector spray if you're adamant about keeping your L26 in the car. I heard from an Aussie that did this...

You need an EFI head. Go with an N42 as it has square exhaust ports and approximately the same chamber size at the E88 the L26 came with (the P79 will lower the CR too much). You will need to tune the stock EFI. You may not be able to get it running 100% correct.

- Get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. See if by lowering the fuel pressure you can get it to idle smooth.I wouldn't lower the pressure more than 5psi less than stock.

- You can also insert a variable resistor inline with the coolant sensor to lean it out if needed.

- Lastly I would screw with the AFM

Pete

• Administrators

Best bet is use an injector that is the same percentage smaller in flow vs the l28 injector, then the chances of getting the l28 efi to to run smoothly in most or all conditions will be better or install an l28 under the l28 efi.

Or lower the fuel pressure.

- You can also insert a variable resistor inline with the coolant sensor to lean it out if needed.

Just to clarify, if a resistor is installed in series, the mixture will be richer. Installed in parallel, leaner. However, a parallel resistor will flatten the curve out across the temp range.

Uh, the 260Z block is not provisioned for EFI, i.e., the cressant-shaped notches in the block for the injectors to spray into cylinders are not there; it won't run `cause the injectors spray on the block above the ports and the fuel 'drips' down into the hole. You would have to file the holes to make the (cressant) notches for the injector spray if you're adamant about keeping your L26 in the car. I heard from an Aussie that did this...

It's not the block, rather the head. See post #1...

[assuming i have a head which can handle injection eg p79]

Or lower the fuel pressure.

Just to clarify, if a resistor is installed in series, the mixture will be richer. Installed in parallel, leaner. However, a parallel resistor will flatten the curve out across the temp range.

It's not the block, rather the head. See post #1...

ok. I appreciate all the responses. What i have concluded is that this sounds a bit tricky to achieve an NA motor with injection, the more i think about it it seems better to go turbo;

consideration:

leave my L26 block with dished pistons and L28E dizzy installed;

intstall P79 head; drops compression to 7.4;

L28E injection manifold, wiring loom;

L28ET injectors;

L28ET turbo exhaust manifold with T3/T4 or T28 or something similar; j-pipe;

Aftermarket management OR z31 ECU with a nistune?

I guess the aim is about 220-230hp at the wheels

boost kept to around 10psi;

2.5" exhaust to be left on car;

So a few questions;

cam? the cam in the p79 will do? or turbo grind needed?

L28E dizzy ok to run with this?

bigger injectors req'd?

management; i am all ears; microtek Lt-8?

L26 bottom end is freshly rebuild, will it handle this setup and power level?

intercooler? required?

thanks,

Pete.

Edited by 432-r