HybridZ

LS1-Edit

I guess this really only applies to LoneStar1 at this point, but have you seen any info on this LS1-Edit product that is supposedly coming out in a few months? Apparently it will allow you to manipulate the programming of the engine - timing, fuel maps, etc.

Currently the only thing available is the Hypertech module, but you can only burn in the programs that they give you (well, sell you would be more accurate). OR their are companies like Speartech that will reprogram if you mail the ECU to them. They quoted me $300 (to eliminate VATS, remove the 2nd set of O2s and redo the fuel system). Kinda steep.

This is very cool.

I also found this site - their selling a module that connects the OBD2 to a laptop and they have some pretty nice windows software. Complete scanning of all codes, datalogging, graphing, etc. Even has a set of "virtual instruments". You can display up to 6 at a time: ignition, tach, temp, MAF, fuel pressure, speed, etc. Very cool. It's only $112!

I can't wait to get this engine installed. I'm picking it up on Saturday.

What really bowls me over is these guys running turbos and SCs on stock internals. Those internals run 10.2:1 compression! Not to mention seeing the pictures of all that tubing crammed into an FBody engine bay.

I posted the picture of Lonestar1's engine bay on LS1.com by way of explaining my planned swap (lot of info on that site and some pretty good forum discussion). One guy made a crack about the engine being "crammed in there"! Have you seen a picture of a Camaro or TA engine bay? I do not envy them working on those cars. Half the engine is under the windshield. And as wide as those cars are, the strut towers (well, there's no struts - spring perch towers?) are GIGANTIC. It definately looks like a much smaller engine bay.

Anyway, so far so good...

Guest super280z

i dont know if you have or not but post on LS1. com they'd have more answers than we would i think. simply because thats what the mojority of them have. icon_smile.gif

Info on the LS1 editing software is still a little skimpy last I looked. However the software for th eLT1 is pretty powerful and I'd expect at least as much functionality from the LS1 software. Emissions are tightening on the later motors and the OEMs are having to give the dealers some flexability in making adjustments. Plus it simply makes sense for the OEMs to flash program the ECUs and not have to open them up to make changes. A single ECU could then be used for many more cars this way - so long as they can reverse the programming I'd think they could do most anything.

I do hope you pointed out to the guy on LS1 that the engine is FAR from crammed in there and that perhaps he should look under his own hood for an example of "cramming". I wonder what the dealer charges to change a set of plugs on one of those cars? If it's anything like the LT1 equipped cars it should be good for a laugh icon_smile.gif Heh, post a link to your posting if you get a chance icon_biggrin.gif

Here's a link to my post:

http://208.238.17.66/ls1forum/Forum1/HTML/020038.html

It's a pretty nice forum - I was happy to find it. They have over 20,000 members!! So, inevitably, there is some BS along with the good info. Very good on balance though. It's lately become another internet destination for me (along with Slashdot, wired, here of course...).

I'm definately feeling good about my recent engine choice. And since I will be going to the actual place to pick it up, and it's not too far away, I'm fairly confident that I won't get screwed on the deal. Although at $2K for the whole chimichanga, I can't help but feel a tad nervous. There was an auction on a 2000 LS1 that closed yesterday, and although it had the more expensive T56, it closed at $4K. With no headers and a few other missing pieces no less icon_rolleyes.gif.

It is getting hard to rein in my imagination on this project. I've already daydreamed myself a 12 inch LCD "instrument console" tied to the OBD2 ECU. I gotta stop and smack myself once and awhile.... icon_biggrin.gif

I got my JTR book today and started pouring over it. Did I mention the coming onslaught of questions that all of you experienced hybrid'ers will be facing?