HybridZ

TURBO swap wireing

I have used this site http://strausz.us/zcar/turboswap/

This way my model for my turbo swap, I think i may have gotten the wiring wrong does anyone have pics of where there turbo harness ties into the n/a Dash harness?

What i did near the ECU was

Turbo harness for (ECU)

Yellow to ignition

yellow with white to blue wire (from stock n/a setup off to the side single plug)

Ecu power light lights but the ??Starter?? make a whining noise.

The arrows and question mark indicates the connection i am unsure of, they both say coil so i tied them together.....

Any help would be great (i am new to wiring) and i didn't start this project and i almost wish i had my good old n/a back so please any help is appreciated!

post-11700-12759198041705_thumb.jpg

Edited by Z-carforlife

I started with a 1982 NA and dropped in an L28et so I hope this is the same...

The dash wiring is basically left by itself. Your starter should crank independantly of the ECU being in the car or not. If it is powered while cranking then your fuel injection works. :)

The wires that power the coil are your key spot to splice a couple wires into the harness for the fuel injection near the turbo ECU.

Over by the battery your main power wires comming from inside the fender are the same on the non-turbo and turbo. Cut those main wires and splice them into your turbo harness. This gives everything power as it should with ignition.

rebuild92.jpg

The one clip on the left with the crimp connectors is the only part that was different. I matched the colored wires to the NA setup and that leaves one white wire going from the FI harness to nowhere. it did not seem to affect the engine.

rebuild93.jpg

The NA power and ground wires at the coil you hook up to power and ground on your turbo coil. Pull the turbo transistor out of the turbo car's coil wiring harness and it looks like this.

robturbo02.jpg

Then run that wire through the fender alongside the factory NA power and ground. It splices into the lower left yellow wire in this pic (coincides with the picture on your schematic)

robturbo03.jpg

The "dash" harness that was already in place puts power to the coil, then the transistor thing sends a RPM signal to the ECU. Good enough! The other wires I did not need to connect.

I think that is all you need to know. I did this swap 4 years ago.... its been a while

Thanks for the assistance, I still have a question though. I have figured out the yellow and white wire goes to the ignitor, The wiring diagram seems to say i need the black and white wire from the ignition on the other post.

My stock ignitor connection has a blue wire, and a brown wire, what does the blue wire get hooked to???? i thin it should be the black and white just need confirmation.

Thanks for the help and please do continue so frustrated with this thing (wishing for my n/a back)

Thanks for the help and please do continue so frustrated with this thing (wishing for my n/a back)

The turbo is worth it, trust me!

Take a look through this, it has many detailed pictures, maybe it can help you out some:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/34469-a-quick-fi-and-ignition-280zxt-to-s30-turbo-swap-guide/

This isn't even M.S. this is just stock ECU maybe in 10 or so years when my understanding of this wireing is better i will do M.S.

One thing i still do not get is the conection for the ignitor guys, I have a blue wire and a brown wire attached to the clip for the ignitor. Yet the 83 wiring diagram calls for a YW and a BW the YW i found that on the E.C.C.S. harness and i have tapped in and run it to the ignitor, but what B/W wire are they talking about? Ignition? The one by the battery?

can I even use to Stock n/a ignitor connector or should I go strip the turbo one, The guy who started this mess said it would be fine this way.....

Thanks for all the help guys please keep it come'n i need it!