HybridZ

'79 ZX hood options.. please help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

To all you body zeds,

I'm in kind of a rut, I need to replace the hood on my '79 ZX, it got a dent in the cowl, though not by my own doing emo.gif

so replacing it is kind of inevitable. Being that it dented right on the crease and I haven't really done body work before... I need a new one, plus I don't really like the stock hood. Being that I'm going to swap the turbo in there, I'd like to get some more cool air, just like how the turbo vents were designed. I guess my question is could I fit an 81/82/83 turbo hood on my '79 without doing any trimming, etc.? Most places I've found sell zx hoods from '79-81 and then 82-83/81 turbo. Did they fit up differently? Was it just because of the front bumper/fenders? If I had to do a small amount of fitting work, such as just skimming off a few mm to trim things up I could definitely handle that, however if the difference in years makes for a totally different fitment. My next thought was just cutting ventholes out in a '79 hood to fit the turbo vents in there. What I <b>really</b> wanted to do was get a fiberglass hood to balance some weight out up front, and also have a bit of customization involved. I'm not looking to spend 1000 bucks just on a hood for the daily driven turbo proj, but I need to do something. I appreciate any/all input.

-980mak rockon.gif

980 mak, all 280ZX hoods fit up the same way so it's easy to interchange them. Only venting styles/methods differ AFAIK. I had the early hood and swapped to a turbo style hood. I don't prefer the style at all but couldn't ignore the fact that it would pass more air. I have a spare new factory turbo hood I've been keeping for a 'modified' project someday that I might part with if you're interested, drop me a line off list if you are.

Or a friend likely has a few used ones availabe in decent shape if interested. (we're not that far from you smile.gif )

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Ross!

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Well, my idea was to just kipe one from a wrecked/rusted zxT, practice messing around with chemical strippers, bondo, body stuff (my idea was to kinda smooth out the cowl), and maybe even paint it myself, eventually. I was even considering doing a mask-stripe job. But then, if I didn't keep it down the roof, hatch, etc it would probably look cheap and ricey. Ross, if you can get me a decent price, sure enough, you aren't far away at all. I've found its easier to acquire parts (shipping) from couv BC, than it is from SoCal. Do you think you could get me a shipping quote and/or price, my area code is 98632 (longview, WA).

I am quite pleased to hear that I can now interchange a turbo hood. I would have actually done it a lot sooner, since that dent is pretty much the only real exterior blemish on my ZX. Gimme an email Ross, we'll talk. 2thumbs.gif

-980mak