HybridZ

TurboHLS30's '75 280z

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE: I got a free 5 speed, and Greddy E-Manage for the 2jz. So the swap is slowly getting pieced together for the Z. It will be running by summer hopefully, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm going to pick up my Miata Sunday biggrin.gif I'm so excited. There's a whole new plan for it. Me and 2 other friends are building it for the Grassroots Motorsports $2011 Challenge. It's getting a full cage, racing bucket seats and harnesses, turbo kit, full exhaust, and Megasquirt. Our team is called Team Learner's Permit and we're the youngest team to EVER compete in the Challenge (We're all Juniors in high school). I'm going to start a separate build thread for the Miata once we start getting deep into it.

• 1 month later...

Wow it's been a while. I didn't end up getting the Miata unfortunately, so I invested some money into the Z. I went and bought paint tor black out the whole turbo kit and core support. I'd rather people not know that I'm turbo'd :D Anyway, the valve cover, intake plenum, and intercooler are all wrinkle black. Then I painted the compressor housing of the turbo, and intercooler piping satin black. All in all, I think it looks amazing for $40 worth of paint. Tell me what you think.

210y1yb.jpg

2ngh9ft.jpg

jq44ds.jpg

20jls8o.jpg

2qn2rl4.jpg

I also ordered all new brakes, as in rotors, pads, shoes, and all of the hardware for the rear brakes. I have a new water pump, coolant necks, fuel pump, fuel line, and assorted fittings coming. So there will be progress in the next month or so.

• 1 month later...

Tinted my turn signals and tail lights yesterday. I've decided to go with a Night Rider theme so the next thing I'm going to do is paint the stock wheels black and put them on so that the Night Rider theme carries throughout the whole car.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm back from my suspension :/ Since I've been gone I have destroyed 2 slave cylinders and then noticed that I was buying the wrong slave cylinder the whole time, changed out my Grant steering wheel, stripped out all of my sound deadener, painted the core support, and decided I'm going to use the Z for the Grassroots Motorsports $2011 Challenge :D Here's some pics

28svjpu.jpg

23puhg.jpg

2l8eq91.jpg

30bo9ra.jpg

287qckj.jpg

Also I relocated the Z to my dad's shop so that I can trim the core support for the intercooler piping, swap the springs, and get my fuel system complete. Should be running soon if I spend some time on it. Only problem is I have finals coming up so I have a lot of studying to do :( On the other hand, I'll be 17 in 11 days :rockon:

Decided I'm going to pull the motor in the Z, clean-up/paint the engine bay, go through the motor, and put it all back together after. I want to get this done now so that when I get it running I don't have to blow apart into pieces again. My friend is going to paint the bay for me for $15/hour + materials, he painted his E30 BMW and it was amazing so I trust him

2j0bcqe.jpg

I just turned 17 :D Well, I've finally decided that I'm tired of seeing the Z sit. So I'm going to do a L28et swap and get it running, because I get my license soo and I need something to drive that will get decent gas mileage. The plan is to swap the motor, swap out the turbo with a Garrett unit I have, put a 300zx turbo ECU in, and put some 440cc injectors and call it a day. If I can get it done for less than $2,000 I'd be happy and can still compete in the GRM $2011 Challenge. So if anyone out there has a L28et, let me know :D

Happy Birthday. I actually have a L28et long block sitting in my garage in "storage" I took most of the other parts with me (Shaved N42 intake, Exhaust mani, used fuel rail and 550cc RC injectors with me to cali) Also have a holset H1C and "everything you will need"(from the guy I bought it from, but I verified it and if should be everything) to hook it all up. If you want the long block I can give it to you for $100. Plan was to drive out with it, but didn't have enough space. It does have a blown headgasket, but it only had 96k miles.

PM me if you want to work something out. I'm not going to be using it anytime soon. And I can throw in the engine stand for $30 more.

Edited by BluDestiny

Why bother at this point bro, you almost have a complete 2JZ swap. Spend the money on getting the 2JZ in and going. I'd imagine you could start pulling everything out now and get a start on the fab work to get it in which shouldnt cost too much.

Edited by jakeoster

Nah, with the 2jz I'd still have to buy the $1,000 forward facing intake, turbo manifold, turbo, then wire in the Greddy E-Manage, fabricate mounts, and other little things. For the price of the intake I can get a complete L28et together and in my Z. Hell, once I get the long block from BluDestiny I'll have $250 in the motor and then I'd just have to buy the harness and ecu, wire in the harness, and do the other little things to get it running.

Ya turbo, I would agree with Jakeoster, especially if you already have access to another car. Sure it takes 2-3k to finish the swap. But bite the bullet, look into getting a job, or a 2nd one . You already have the big items 2jz, ECU and FULL access to your fathers shop. So what if takes a little more time:) Like Nike said "Just do it"

Haha, it's alot more to it. For the price of the 2jz swap I could have a 400hp L28. I'm just really want to get the Z running because it hasn't moved under its own power since I bought it and I need something to drive. The Suburban is getting floors and the BMW needs tires/fuel line.