HybridZ

VK45DE

BH-240Z

I have been looking over this forum and am interested in doing a VH45DE conversion in my project. I have been looking over ebay just getting ideas of costs for the motor or a Q45 as a whole with everything I'd need. Now I've looked at wikipedia for output specs for the VK45DE and was curious if anyone has anything to say about that motor for a probable swap. Its still the same platform as the VH from what I can tell but with a little more kick. So again my question is. Is this a viable motor for a swap, and if so what are the main differences between a VH and VK (i.e. motor mounts and location of other components)?

• 2 months later...

taken from wikipedia:

VK45DE:

The 4.5 L (4494 cc) VK45DE was introduced in 2002 and is built in Yokohama, Japan. Bore is 93 mm (3.7 in) and stroke is 82.7 mm (3.26 in). Output is 340 hp (254 kW) at 6400 rpm with 333 ft·lbf (451 Nm) of torque at 4000 rpm. Redline is at 6600 rpm. It has an aluminum engine block and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. It uses SFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder with VVT and features forged steel connecting rods, 4 one-piece cast camshafts, and an unusual variable-flow induction system optimizes airflow for low- and high-speed operation and low-friction molybdenum-coated pistons and microfinished crankshaft.

VH45DE:

The VH45DE is a 4.5 liter V8 developed by Nissan for use in the Infiniti Q45 sport luxury sedan (G50 platform) which was released in November 1989. The engine was also used in the Japanese market Nissan President limousine (JG50 platform) which debuted in late 1990. The VH45DE generates 278 hp (207 kW) at 6000 rpm and 292 lb·ft (396 N·m) at 4000 rpm with a redline of 6900 rpm.

Some of the pertinent features of the VH45DE are:

- Forged steel crankshaft.

- Forged steel connecting rods.

- 6 Bolt main bearing caps with studs.

- Full-length main bearing girdle.

- Lightweight, floating pistons with molybdenum coating.

- Sodium-filled exhaust valves.

- Cross-flow cooling system.

- Hydraulic lash adjusters.

- Single-row silent timing chain.

- Coil-on-plug ignition system.

- Lifter buckets ride directly on cams to reduce friction.

- Redline of 6900 rpm, Or 7400 RPM's with a modified ECU.

- Compression ratio of 10.2 to 1.

- Bore of 93 mm and stroke of 82.7 mm.

- Dimensions: 890 mm(L) x 740 mm(W) x 725 mm(H).

The 4.5 L VH45DE featured variable valve timing, also known as VTC, from 1990 until 1995. This was due to the "Gentleman's Agreement", requiring all imports to produce no more than 280hp. Nissan got around this by publishing the hp rating without VTC, meaning it's actual power rating is closer to 310 hp and 330 ft. lbs. of torque. Due to tightening emissions regulations in the US market, the VTC feature was dropped from the 1996 Infiniti Q45. In the following year, the VH45DE was no longer available in any US market vehicles

These two engines are not the same platform. Aside from sharing a similar size, displacement, and number of cylinders, these two engines are actually quite different. Both have a rather small aftermarket but if you are resourceful you should be able to find what you need for either engine. I would assume its still cheaper to obtain a VH45DE given its age. There have been adapter plates made to allow the VH to bolt to the Z32 5 speed transmission(RS5R30A), though the factory automatic(RE4R03A) is fairly strong. I don't know of any manual transmission options for the VK. Many people also perfer the VH if your goals are big power(500++HP) as its generally regarded that the VH is a stronger engine and holds up better to boosted applications. I am not sure if the motor mounts are located the same but I would imagine they would be similar as both of these engines powered different models of the Infiniti Q45 sedan...

Edited by RedBeauty84ZX