HybridZ

Radiator dimensions for 240z

I have a 240z with an lq4. what size Radiator are you guys running. Any input on this subject would be helpful. Not sure if I want it to be larger than the opening or how thick it should be. Keep in mind that i intend on adding a turbo to this motor evetually so i need something that will keep this motor cool for high hp applications but will give me room for a turbo.

I have a 240z with an lq4. what size Radiator are you guys running. Any input on this subject would be helpful. Not sure if I want it to be larger than the opening or how thick it should be. Keep in mind that i intend on adding a turbo to this motor evetually so i need something that will keep this motor cool for high hp applications but will give me room for a turbo.

I hate to be one of those guys that says "do a search", but this is a really easy one dude, especially if you've ever been to JCI's website (www.brokenkitty.com) or JTR's website (www.jagsthatrun.com).

I am personally running the JTR aluminum radiator kit with my current LQ4 powered S30 along with a Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan (runs at 180 degrees all day in 100+ outside temps, even with stop and go traffic) and I've used the same kit in my last V8 powered S30 as well. It will serve your purpose with ease, no need to spend more money on a 'race' until IMO.

Edited by Cable

Trust me I have searched. Im not looking to get a kit. Making mounting brackets and such isnt the problem. what I am trying to do is order a generic radiator from summit but I am not sure the correct size to make it. i found the dimensions of the jci kit but how does it fit with the intake in the car. Is the intake run to the side of the radiator and out the firewall?

Trust me I have searched. Im not looking to get a kit. Making mounting brackets and such isnt the problem. what I am trying to do is order a generic radiator from summit but I am not sure the correct size to make it. i found the dimensions of the jci kit but how does it fit with the intake in the car. Is the intake run to the side of the radiator and out the firewall?

I understand if you are trying to save some coin, but I wouldn't bother. The JTR radiator kit is $280 shipped and includes everything needed except coolant.

I tried going with the universal/generic circle track type aluminum radiators a few times in a few different vehicles, including one in my Big Block Chevy powered S30 Z and they just don't last for street driving. The aluminum used is pretty soft and any little pebble or gravel that gets kicked up will punch little holes in the radiator quite easily. I also had problems with the tanks cracking prob because the radiator was mounted too rigid (compared to being sandwiched between rubber isolators like the JTR setup) and the vibration was work hardening the aluminum to the point of cracking. I prob spend more time repairing the tubes and tanks than anything else in the cooling system.

If you buy one of those $500 pieces from companies like Be-Cool, etc, they are made from street cars and as such built with much better aluminum. Same goes for the radiator in the JTR kit, made for street use.

However, if you are hell bent on your course, its your car and your money. I don't remember the size you need, but just measure the width between your frame rails and the opening of the core support from top to bottom and buy your radiator just a tad smaller so you have some wiggle room. Be sure to look at the overall measurements of the radiator (including tanks) you are looking to buy since sometimes just the core measurements are listed (measured without the tanks).

Attached are some pics of my last Z car with a universal/generic circle track type aluminum radiator. I heli-arc welded two aluminum 90* bent pieces to the tanks, drilled holes in the core support, and bolted everything up. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I.

post-778-1276276579447_thumb.jpg

post-778-12762766125938_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cable