HybridZ

AN Fitting on Valve Cover Breather Fitting?

jacob80

Here is another option.

Elbows that screw straight into the standard rocker thread, then tig welded onto either -8 or -10 AN flare.

This allows you to just buy a -8 or -10 anodised straight fitting, instead of an expensive bend.

The inside diameter of the -8 'hybrid' fitting can be drilled out to the same ID of a -10 to acheive a better flow.

post-5891-12769912007443_thumb.jpg

Here is another option.

Elbows that screw straight into the standard rocker thread, then tig welded onto either -8 or -10 AN flare.

This allows you to just buy a -8 or -10 anodised straight fitting, instead of an expensive bend.

The inside diameter of the -8 'hybrid' fitting can be drilled out to the same ID of a -10 to acheive a better flow.

If anyone one is interested in such a straight or elbow fitting such as above, let me know as I am about to place an order.

Cheers

You can always get an aluminum AN adapter (one end is smooth and tapered to fit in the breather end) and weld it to the stock breather like this:

Before:

IMGP0901.jpg

After:

IMGP0904.jpg

Installed:

IMGP0908.jpg

IMGP0912.jpg

I worked with what I had, I wanted to keep it low to the valve cover and not worry about hood clearance with too many adapters. The valve cover was already powder coated so I didn't want to weld on it and it cost me $5 for the fitting.

I worked with what I had, I wanted to keep it low to the valve cover and not worry about hood clearance with too many adapters. The valve cover was already powder coated so I didn't want to weld on it and it cost me $5 for the fitting.

That's what I'm trying to do mate. Use a fitting so the rocker cover doesn't have to be modified, the buyer doesn't have to do any welding and kept as low as possible. None of the fittings shown previously come anyway near the bonnet, and all have the same or larger breather size as the factory fitting. You seem to have gone down in size with your fitting ( -6 ??) which will increase the speed at which the oil vapour will travel which results in more oil carry over to the catch can. And as also mentioned above, probably doesn't look quite as good with the fitting so far down the factory breather, which will also put some pressure on the weld. Sure you saved some money by only buying a -6 weld on, but looking at that fine engine bay tells me you aren't worried about the cost.

Hose Size / Velocity is valid. The larger the hose, the slower the velocity, the more surface for coalescing.

Also remember this stock hose is CONDUCTIVE for static dissipation, and has a flame arrestor (metal tube brush) stuffed in there as well.

People can make plenty of stuff look great, but it doesn't mean it's engineered to provide the same safety margins or functionality as the stock parts. You shouldn't sacrifice safety for flash in this instance, a crankcase explosion is not a fun event.

"BOOF!"

• 2 weeks later...

Just updating some prices.

I've found a new supplier of parts and can offer these fittings at a lower price.

These fittings screw straight into your rocker cover:

-8 $35 AUD = $30 US

-10 $45 AUD = $38 US

-12 $55 AUD = $46 US

The -8 pieces are solid, straight from a CNC machine and the -10 and -12 are two stainless threads tig welded together.

Picture250638878.jpg

• 6 months later...