HybridZ

late E88 head on N43 block checklist?

Ok I have a 1978 280z that i'm just trying to get back on the road. the head that was on the engine when i got it is trash, it is cracked between the intake and exhaust valves on all cylinders. I know that this can be fixed (if the cracks aren't too deep) but my sisters ex boyfriend pulled out the exhaust liners when the car was hers. I have an E88 head off of a 1974 260z. I know the static compression ratio is going to be slightly lower if i use the E88 head on the N42 block, due to the smaller valves, and dished pistons, but the cam that's in the E88 head is marked "C" which my research shows it to be NISMO which will raise the dynamic compression ratio. I know the e88 head is going to need the fuel injector holes drilled as well as a few intake manifold bolts. i know that i'm going to need to make a block off plate for the mechanical fuel pump, and i plan on using the exhaust manifold off of the 260z. I would like to just get my baby back on the road, i would like to be able to get the larger 280z valves installed before i get it back together, but i just need to get it back and running.

before i realized the original head was cracked i purchased some valve guide seals for it. will the valve guide seals for the N47 work on the E88?

If i goofed on anything or you have something to add please chime in =)

thanks, Casey

Edited by 1978_280z

seals are the same, but lots of work for the E88 conversion, though depending on what the E88 came from may have identical compression ratio. "C" cam is just another variant of a stock cam, not a NISMO unit.

Why not just get another N47 head for it? They are easy enough to come by, and cheap when they are found. If you were going carbs, I'd say go for the E88 (which if it is off early car may have smaller CC's in the head, and higher compression...)

But for EFI, I'd stick with an EFI head instead of trying a 'conversion'...

seals are the same, but lots of work for the E88 conversion, though depending on what the E88 came from may have identical compression ratio. "C" cam is just another variant of a stock cam, not a NISMO unit.

Why not just get another N47 head for it? They are easy enough to come by, and cheap when they are found. If you were going carbs, I'd say go for the E88 (which if it is off early car may have smaller CC's in the head, and higher compression...)

But for EFI, I'd stick with an EFI head instead of trying a 'conversion'...

Dang! i was really holding my breath on that cam too. I though atlanticz was good source for info

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/cam/index.htm

Did you even read the cam information on the link, or just read what you wanted to read?

It's a 74 260Z cam. All cam specs were listed in the Nissan Motorsports Catalog, just because it's listed doesn't mean it's some sort of high performance cam----it's a standard 260Z cam.

The cam for an L20A Dual-SU Engine was even hotter yet, and not available in the USA so you would have to order it through Nissan Motorsports. Doesn't mean it's anything but a stock part. The "Nismo Oil Pump Springs" are stock parts from an LD28...

For god's sake man, the information CAME from ZCar.com. What do you expect?

Those guys think straight lock pulls and Broadway Mirrors are Nismo Parts.

Hint: If it's not a 9/6-XXXXX series part number, it came from something STOCK in the Nissan Linup SOMWHERE in the world and you can order it (or buy it) in a car direct from the factory.

You want a PERFORMANCE CAM from Nissan Motorsports Competition Parts Department, and not just a stock cam from a Japan Market Car, concentrate your search on the 9/6-XXXXX part numbers---THOSE are performance cams, all the rest are stock stuff that came in run of the mill production cars somewhere in the world.

I mean for gawd's sake, the "-N36" on the second part of the cam part number means it's from a Stock 260Z. Or should I start marketing all my 260Z Manifolds with "N36" on the casting as 'Nismo' parts?

It has to be true, I read it on the internets. (And ZCar.Com is listed as the source, so it HAS to be doubly true!)

:rolleyes:

Edited by Tony D