HybridZ

Average Conversion Cost

I'm currently getting set up for an L28 w/turbo conversion, and have everything I need with the exception of turbo, piping, and fuel management. However I'm considering making the swap to SBC.

I'm thinking I might sell all my l28 related stuff and see if I can find a good deal on a SBC, preferably LS1.

So, assuming I located, say, a 98 camaro that's been rolled, or an LS1 with tranny and wiring for like 2 grand, what would the average cost be for everything else I would need for making this swap work?

I'd like a bunch of answers, as I figure some guys will think of things that others didn't, and then I'll ask a mod to update first post with average figures, so this can be an easily searchable topic, or maybe a sticky. I guess this will also apply to the other sbc forums, so even if you don't have an LS1, please drop your two cents.

Thanks

Val

Everyone will be different. I'm pretty sure I made a post that broke everything down that I put into the car on here...

Depends on what the car has already and what you plan to do.

Before you swap you should have good brakes, good suspension, tires, fuel system, cooling system to handle V8

I bought wilwood brakes ($750), suspension was done, new tires were only $200, fuel system was completely new for this, upgraded and was about $1500 for pump, lines, pressure regulator, fittings etc. Add in guages for poil pressure, coolant temp, tach/speedo and thats another $500 or so. My rad was basically toast so I got a new rad as well.

Was that "needed" for the swap? No. Did it make me feel better about the cars capabilities for the new motor? Yes. $3000+ before the motor was in.

But thats not really part of the swap per se.

John's Cars website has the prices for motor mounts, tranny mount, driveshaft. Thats all you "need" to get it in really. Then add time and marginal cost for wiring and plumbing (cooling/fuel/air).

There is a thread on it already.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/2777-how-much-did-everyone-spend-on-their-v8-conversion/

I advise making the search function your new best friend.

Keep in mind, I posted this in the gen III and IV forums, and although I'd like inputs from other SBC owners, LS1 is my main concern. Also, That thread started almost 10 years ago, and a lot of these parts have either gotten a lot cheaper due to mass production, or rarer with time.

In addition, I'll be more specific (like in the thread you pointed to) and ask what is normally spent, or what you specifically spent on installing the engine only, not on any rebuilds that were necessary, or upgrades you opted to do.

Thanks for your input Janaka - nice build thread, and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Val

Before I did my L28 turbo swap I briefly looked at used LS1 + T56 options. Most were in the $4k range depending on mileage. I've read others buying totaled Camaros/Firebirds and parting out what was salvagable to recoup some of the expense. I didn't see a clear way (without getting lucky) to get a decent package for $2k so stayed with the L28.

You are looking at about $3-4k for an sbc swap on the road driving if you do everything yourself.

I get 5.3/4L60e turnkey pullouts for my customers for $1100 all day.

-Harness/pcm work ($360)

-Headers and exhaust work ($500)

-JCI mount kit ($300)

-Misc $200

It just depends on how deep YOUR rabbit hole goes. When I do the conversion, I plan on upgrading the brakes on all 4 corners, as well as a full set of Autometer gauges. I'm sure I'll have to do something with the rear as well, as I plan on letting it eat from about 6 grand (clutch dump). Also, I'm going with a T56, which is definitely more pricey than a lot of trannies. I have a spreadsheet I can post if anyone is interested, In the prices that I've found and the plans I have.

I get 5.3/4L60e turnkey pullouts for my customers for $1100 all day.

-Harness/pcm work ($360)

-Headers and exhaust work ($500)

-JCI mount kit ($300)

-Misc $200

But a stock used 5.3 isn't an decent sbc is it?<br><br>Also, my price is including every nut and bolt, speedo cable, bigger radiator, e-fan, aluminum water pump, aluminum intake manifold, new carb, new distributor with an MSD module and coil, all of the mounts, driveshaft, complete exhaust, shifter...etc I mean it when I say on the road driving, not just a hack job to physically get it driving<br>

Edited by hoov100

But a stock used 5.3 isn't an decent sbc is it?

What are you trying to say here? If you're asking if a 5.3 is a decent SBC, then the answer is YES. It is far superior to all gen 1 and 2 SBC's in every way. The only downside I can think of, is that the parts are still more expensive.

What are you trying to say here? If you're asking if a 5.3 is a decent SBC, then the answer is YES. It is far superior to all gen 1 and 2 SBC's in every way. The only downside I can think of, is that the parts are still more expensive.

Nobody is saying one thing is better then the other, but a bolt on sbc will outperform a stock lm7.

...a bolt on sbc will outperform a stock lm7.

That statement needs a lot of clarification on the sbc portion. Even then it depends which sbc you are talking about (displacement, year, compression, heads, etc) especially since there were MILLIONS built and installed from '55 to '99.

The intial question is so generic, "average cost" could be anywhere from $1,000-$30,000 depending on where you source your parts from and what you choose to modify while you have the motor out. :blink:

Besides the Datsun specific parts [i.e. JCI kit], I think you'll find better information searching LS1tech or something like that.

Are we really going to get into the "Gen X is better than Gen X if done properly?"

Edited by flatblack280

That statement needs a lot of clarification on the sbc portion. Even then it depends which sbc you are talking about (displacement, year, compression, heads, etc) especially since there were MILLIONS built and installed from '55 to '99.

Say a stock good condition 4 bolt main bottom end with cheapie after market cast flat tops, .030 over, everything is balanced and uses a mellings oil pump and ARP hardware and some cheapie cast rods, a big flat tappet cam, rev kit, cloyes timing set, stock oil pan and timing cover with felpro gaskets should be about $500 if you assemble it yourself, you can find a good set of 487/x heads and deck them .030, stock size ferrera valves with a 3 angle valve job, comp cams beehive valve springs, titanium retainers and locks and a cheapie set of double roller rockers with ARP studs, should come out to about $600 you figure about another $500 for a new carb and manifold, aluminum short pump is about $150 and you can get a cheap set of used shorty headers for less then $150, exhaust tubing and an x-pipe is about another $130, I see rebuilt TH350's and 700R4's go on craigslist anywhere from $200-500, a higher stall torque convertor about $150, a driveshaft should be about $200 if you bring them the yokes, the mounts are $330, the 90* angle drive for the speedo cable is $70, the correct speedo gear is $10, a speedo shop will be able to make you a cable from the GM trans to the datsun speedo for about $50, a good condition nova 4 core radiator will be about $25, a taurus e-fan will be about $25, a reman alternator another $50-100, you figure another $50 in random nuts and bolts, $50 to make new radiator mounts, $40 for radiator hoses and clamps, $100-200 for a shifter and cable, and say $100 for misc gaskets, fuel line, fuel pump..etc

The prices are general, but I would rather have someone being prepared for a slightly larger budget, then having one too small.

You can also find ALOT of good, built circle track race motors with alot of street life left in them for under $1000 if you know where to look and who to ask.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparo....

Change the cam and springs in an otherwise stock LM7 and it'll bury the combo you listed.

...some cheapie cast rods

Oh FYI... ALL SBC/BBC rods are forged steel. None ever came with cast rods....