HybridZ

From The Ashes

Already put a weekend worth of elbow grease with some rubbing and polishing compound and the old paint polishes out like new. I'll take care of the rust later on once the rest of the car is done.

Not a big fuel cell fan for something that will see more street than track use, so I'm probably going to keep the same idea and weld up a surge tank like I had in an old L28ET setup.

Already ordered a bunch of interior bits and carpet kit to clean up the interior. I've got some sound deadening liquid to put down and get the interior all cleaned up and working/looking better than new. A pair of Recaros and probably have a 4pt cage welded in to round it out.

Working on what I'm sure will be a very long list of things I'll eventually do to the car, but it seems to run good for now! Needs more rubber on it, 225s don't do this car justice...

• 2 months later...

Already put a weekend worth of elbow grease with some rubbing and polishing compound and the old paint polishes out like new. I'll take care of the rust later on once the rest of the car is done.

Not a big fuel cell fan for something that will see more street than track use, so I'm probably going to keep the same idea and weld up a surge tank like I had in an old L28ET setup.

Already ordered a bunch of interior bits and carpet kit to clean up the interior. I've got some sound deadening liquid to put down and get the interior all cleaned up and working/looking better than new. A pair of Recaros and probably have a 4pt cage welded in to round it out.

Working on what I'm sure will be a very long list of things I'll eventually do to the car, but it seems to run good for now! Needs more rubber on it, 225s don't do this car justice...

Guys - I'm building a similar car to this and loved the Panasport wheels. I realize they are 16" wheels but could you provide the width and offset? Also what size tires. The tires seem to fit perfect on this car and I want to copy the wheel/tire combo. Thanks!

Edited by Mikey303LSZ

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Damn... Its been a while since i've been on the forums due to my hectic schedule really sucks to see you sold her. I actually came to the build thread section specifically to see any updates on the manifold setup you were doing, but I'm glad to see you got your asking price. Hope to see another build thread in the future.

Edited by 73FairladyZDriver

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I don't visit the forums often!

I'll get the wheel size and offset as soon as I get the car back from the shop. I assume 16x7, the tires rub a bit up front and hit the fender lip in the back over bumps while driving, but otherwise okay.

I drive the car regularly, only issue so far has been a sticking wastegate. Right now I'm having the strut towers cut out and welded up for a coilover setup. When it comes back, I have to sort out a vibration issue I think is related to an out of balance driveshaft and then little stuff like rebuild the steering rack.

Might as well just update this thread.

New walbro 255 pump tossed on there and re-did the fuel line is redone. Had McKinney weld up their coil-over setup too. Rides much better, typical bouncey suspension, but feels pretty good. With the new pump the car idles much better and now pulls smoothly in every gear, knock counts on the powerFC are much reduced as well.

...now to rebuild the steering, swap the rear brakes, and replace any worn bushings.

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well just update this thread.

New walbro 255 pump tossed on there and re-did the fuel line is redone. Had McKinney weld up their coil-over setup too. Rides much better, typical bouncey suspension, but feels pretty good. With the new pump the car idles much better and now pulls smoothly in every gear, knock counts on the powerFC are much reduced as well.

...now to rebuild the steering, swap the rear brakes, and replace any worn bushings.

Sweet man, glad your having fun with her! I want to get a piece of real estate and family going so my performance car days are pretty much over for the foreseeable future. So I live vicariously through you guys haha. Good luck and keep the updates coming!

Edited by jakeoster

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fixed so no worries about the family lol

I'll keep the thread updated as I go, just ordering a half dozen gauges tonight to finish out a whole new interior I've got coming together. I'll get some updated pictures once I finish that up...

• 3 years later...

Hows everyone been? If anyone still looks at this old thread lol.

I am still on that Nissan life. Have a highly reliable Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V that I daily. Not anywhere near as fun as the Z by any means but its practical. I am glad to see that the Z has earned a lot more respect than it had when I was working on my build. Great car, hopefully when my life is where I want it to be I will own another.

My history since this build has been a 1973 240z with a 383ci SBC swap, a 1991 Miata will full suspension, wheels, tires, LSD, and Suzuki GS500F, then a 2014 CBR600rr which was stolen.

Ive been into bikes lately as a more economical option for now while I live life. Looking at a new CBR1000rr to replace the stolen one.

Anyone ever see this Z build around? Would like to know what became of it. Hopefully it wasnt wrecked. To be honest it was pretty sketchy when I had it. Did not handle for shit, but was a blast! Such an amazing car, I wish I still had it. Even with my RB25 transmission mismatched to a 1978 automatic 280z differential. When I calculated it out the theoretical top speed was somewhere north of 200mph. 5th gear was worthless, even on the freeway at 80mph.

What a car, I learned so much about life and how to give it up to move forward and sacrifice. Hard decision but I am glad I did. I am happy where I am today and I know that I will someday own a 240z with an engine from a skyline again because it just has to be that way. My friends still rave about this car and its been years and it was always dangerously imperfect. A legend among us.

Best wishes Hybrid Z! Love you guys and the forum (no homo) lol

Edited by jakeoster