HybridZ

KA24E Swap KA24DE/T Is the block the same

Albert

Im in the land of OZ (Australia).

We have the KA24E (in a pick-up), we didn't get the KA24DE/T.

I would have thought the block was the same in these two engines, allowing you to swap the head, ecu, intake, headers, etc.

After reading some of the postings, I get the impression I am missing something here.

Are they not the same block?

Can you not swap the head, intake, etc?

I realy need to be educated here.

Can anyone oblige?

Trebla

As far as I know, the KADET never existed, its just a moniker people like to apply when they turbo their KA motors. As far as I know though, the block is the same for both the single and dual cam models. I've heard people say things about also changing the timing chain or the pistons, but I'm not an expert.

Edited by Oddmanout84

• 1 month later...

Engine mounts are the same but the blocks are pretty different. Bonus is the KA24E is lower compression if you plan on boosting. IIRC 8.6:1 instead of 9.5:1

- Change the head, intake and exhaust manifold, front engine and head covers, and oil pan.

- Oil pump is different

- KA-E block doesn't have oil squirters. Block off the holes in the bottom side of the block for those passages and keep the ones in front open for the new cover. Change all the pump hardware over for the DE.

- Change the balancer and stuff to the DE and find a different collar.

- Timing - modify one of the larger chain guides by cutting off the top and rounding it out so that it doesn't push the chain right into the idler sprocket.

- Heating lines into the back of the block are different and need to be swapped.

- KA-DE P/S Bracket needs to be changed to use the holes that are on the KA-E block.

- A/C won't bolt on.

- Alternator fits.

- Motor mounts are 1/4" higher on block, therefore it will sit 1/4" lower in bay (Yay).

Side note - are U13 Bluebirds and 99+ Navara not KA24DE?

Edited by Aaj2k5

Side note - are U13 Bluebirds and 99+ Navara not KA24DE?

the U12 and U13 bluebirds over there are FWD SOHC 3 valve, 2 intake, one larger outlet. pics in: http://www.ozdat.com/membersites/zac510/

the 90's navaras i know of having in Aus from chatting with fellow petrol heads over there are all either SD or TD series diesel or SOHC KA24 as well, not sure about 99+ models. I think the newer aus navara petrols use a V6.

to further gum up the works, the truck blocks and the car blocks are different. Truck blocks are about 3/4" LONGER. they have a bellhousing flange that sticks off the back of the block an extra 3/4". I put a 240SX KA24E into a 1991 nissan hardbody 4x4. never again. also, the 240SX KA24E is girdled. the truck block is not. You can put a DOHC head on a SOHC block, you need all teh timing components from the DOHC block though. as well as pistons, unless you are comfy with 11.75:1 or there abouts.

the blocks are similar enough to permit head swaps without modification to the block itself, just bolting on parts basically.

Aaj2K5 summed it up very well.