HybridZ

1972 240z SBC V8 and complete restoration project

Hey That's looking really nice... The Dash came out really well... How durable is that texture coating? Where did you buy the Materials. It's good to let us know what you used to get such a nice result. Let us know how it holds up to wear and to the Sun. I'm impressed so far... That pain looks really nice especially in the dimmer light. In the sun, it's almost blinding. I believe the Stock Copper paint was probably similar way back when it was new.

That Brake line, It's interresting you popped it through with a grommet, I like that idea, but I worry if your tire is ever too wide, and you turn right too sharp that it might grap it. I would have popped it through forward from there about 8 or so inches so it's in line with the Shock tower mostly. Looks like you sealed the grommet, that's a good idea. Other than that I think it's looking Sweet :2thumbs:

Phar

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the complements as always, guys. To answer the questions that were posed...

I used a similar method to that of the dash repair thread that I found on here, and is also on some other Z sites. I used expanding household door and window sealant for the filler, which you can find at Lowes or Home Depot. As far as the other materials, I found them all at a local automotive paint store. The SEM products should be pretty easy to get ahold of, which I used all according to the directions of those who have done the repair before. The only difference was the texture coating. I'm not sure how durable it is in the long run, but it seems to be pretty strong, and dries to a flexible plastic feel. I've since only had the dash inside on the carpet, but with the handling so far it has held up nicely, so I'm not too worried about being gentle with it.

One of the reasons that I popped the brake line through where I did was because of where the header comes down, if you look in the picture where you can see the fuel regulator, you see that too much further forward, and I would have a lot of heat on the brake line. Also, I'm not worried about rubbing on the tire, because the tire would hit the body seam that sticks out right there about the same time it hits the brake line, giving me a far bigger problem than wearing on the brake line :) So, the less it was in the engine bay the better, since the engine is set to the passenger side and doesn't leave a lot of room for anything on that frame rail without heat shielding. Hope that answers the questions/concerns!

Edited by z2go

ahh, yeah, okay, the pict made it look like it was sticking out more than it was. If you're concerned about heat on the bay where that header is, maybe you should look into some heat shielding, or at least some high temp wrap. I'd hate for your pretty paint to get bubbled.

You are right. The header is ceramic coated, but the down pipe is not. I am ordering a bunch of heat shielding soon to protect the fuel lines in the back, I am probably going to address the issue in the front as well.

• 1 year later...

It's been a long time since I last posted. The reason for that is I have been away for military training, since about a year ago. The car has been on hold, sitting in the garage, waiting to begin again. In addition, I got transferred to San Antonio. I am in the process of moving there, and will be settled in by the end of August. At that point, the project will begin yet again...

As of now, this is the list of things that need to be done:

Pull clutch (it's stuck for some reason)

install glass on all sides

finish sandblasting and sealing of all trim pieces

installing door hardware

install lights

finish wiring for lighting

start up engine, tune

start and finish interior

Small list, but still seems like a long road.

Here are some pictures of the current status, as I don't think I was doing very well at updating the status before I put the project on hold. The door and fenders are off just because they were being repaired by my body guy, and we didn't put them back on until it went into the trailer.

post-4330-043451600 1341753787_thumb.jpg

post-4330-099379800 1341753794_thumb.jpg

post-4330-009394900 1341753803_thumb.jpg

post-4330-076608800 1341753811_thumb.jpg

post-4330-093384200 1341753818_thumb.jpg

post-4330-042078300 1341753825_thumb.jpg

post-4330-016229100 1341753833_thumb.jpg

post-4330-073402000 1341753838_thumb.jpg

post-4330-036995500 1341753844_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's looking so close man! wow! doing a great job. that dash turned out so sweet. I'm no afraid of doing mine now. I love the texture you'd put on it. Those Radiator hoses are pretty fancy too. Can't wait to hear it run! I hope you'll post a video..

It's looking so close man! wow! doing a great job. that dash turned out so sweet. I'm no afraid of doing mine now. I love the texture you'd put on it. Those Radiator hoses are pretty fancy too. Can't wait to hear it run! I hope you'll post a video..

Thanks man! I will definitely be posting a video once I get it running. I'm really interested to see what the exhaust ends up sounding like. Once I get the garage set up at my new place the project will begin again.

• 11 months later...

That is a great question!! I just recently started working on the project again, I had a ton of stuff to tackle with the new house, one being to build a usable workshop to even start on the project again.

I had to pull the transmission because the clutch was stuck, ended up just upgrading to a dual friction clutch while I was in there... Also decided to go ahead and upgrade the rear end with a Gleason Torsen and z31 CVs while I was at it... So that stuff is about ready to go back in. Already upgrading without even getting on the road...