HybridZ

The plan for my engine freshening

trwebb26

Got an 83' turbo motor that has been sitting for 10 years - reported 60K miles - turns over with no problems. I've already got a good alternator, starter, thermostat, intake/exhaust/turbo setup, plugs, wires, refreshed dizzy, megasquirt, proper fuel, etc... I just need a good reliable longblock.

I've purchased:

- ARP head stud kit

- Water Pump

- Oil Pump

- Brass Freeze plug set (the ones in the block are rusty)

- Timing Kit

- Full Gasket Kit

The plan is to take off the head to get a look at the cylinder walls and take off the pan to get a look at the bottom end. I'm only going to loosen the mains / rods if something looks fishy - at which time I'll end up buying more parts.

The questions:

1) Would you do anything to the head while it is off? I thought about removing/cleaning the valves and replacing the valve seals and maybe giving it a quick gasket match job. Should I do it... don't bother?

2) Would you replace anything else on the lower end while it is this far apart? I'm trying to avoid the expense of new pistons/rings, rod and main bearings, rod and main bolts, and machine shop work... That stuff adds up to a lot of money (and time at the machine shop) - especially when my power goals (less than 350 HP) should be just fine on a "stock" bottom end.

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an 83' turbo motor that has been sitting for 10 years - reported 60K miles - turns over with no problems. I've already got a good alternator, starter, thermostat, intake/exhaust/turbo setup, plugs, wires, refreshed dizzy, megasquirt, proper fuel, etc... I just need a good reliable longblock.

I've purchased:

- ARP head stud kit

- Water Pump

- Oil Pump

- Brass Freeze plug set (the ones in the block are rusty)

- Timing Kit

- Full Gasket Kit

The plan is to take off the head to get a look at the cylinder walls and take off the pan to get a look at the bottom end. I'm only going to loosen the mains / rods if something looks fishy - at which time I'll end up buying more parts.

The questions:

1) Would you do anything to the head while it is off? I thought about removing/cleaning the valves and replacing the valve seals and maybe giving it a quick gasket match job. Should I do it... don't bother?

2) Would you replace anything else on the lower end while it is this far apart? I'm trying to avoid the expense of new pistons/rings, rod and main bearings, rod and main bolts, and machine shop work... That stuff adds up to a lot of money (and time at the machine shop) - especially when my power goals (less than 350 HP) should be just fine on a "stock" bottom end.

Thanks for the help.

welll im doing just about the same thing. another thing i was looking at doing was add replacing valve springs. just want to keep freshing up the top end of the motor too yaknow.