HybridZ

small aftermarket headlights - opinions?

Michael

I’ve made some front-end modifications to my ’78 280Z that preclude the reinstallation of the stock headlights in the stock location. The likely new location will be in the grill area, where 280Z’s normally have the front amber parking lights. Assuming, for the sake of argument, that such an installation is legal and all that, I still have to make the choice of whether to attempt to install the stock headlight assemblies, or to switch to a set of those compact headlights, such as the high intensity discharge units that have recently become popular (unfortunately, with rice boys). Does anyone have experience with such lights? They’re the ones that are around 2” in diameter. Are they strictly for auxiliary lighting, such as fog lamps and the like, or can they serve as the primary headlights in a “streetable” car? I am referring to a pair that costs maybe $50, not the $600 stuff that was briefly discussed on the forum last year.

Guest Anonymous

I'd check with your local Highway patrol office or headquarters as to whether the placement is even legal, regardless of what kind of lights you intend to use. I believe they have rules about height off of the ground and separation distance.

Guest greimann

Auxilary driving lights are not a substitute for primary headlights. Factory headlights have designed optics that focus and cutoff the beam to illuminate the road and shoulder and reduce glare to oncomming drivers. A better solution to your problem would be to try to adapt a headlight unit from another vehicle, or to use some of those low profile sealed beam replacements lamps that you can find on the auto parts store shelf.

Greimann brings up a good point here. I replaced my headlights (again, due to body mods) with a much smaller light. I wanted the Acura headlights (those small round ones) but salvage was very expensive on these. So I use the PIAA 110watt pencil beam driving lights. Yes, they are most likely illegal, but I do not plan on driving at night. BUT, just in case, I did wire in a 240 watt 1/2 ohm resistor to each side. This brought the intensity down to where it will not create a problem with oncoming drivers, but still allows plenty of illumination. One good thing about pencil beams focused pattern is that it only takes a few degrees of downward angle to significantly reduce the glare to other drivers. I do miss the wide pattern though.