HybridZ

Audi 20v turbo engine

Zhunter

Has a swap like this ever been done? Either with the torsen welded using the Audi tranny or maybe the engine mended to a datsun tranny?

I would love to learn more considering it's my favorite engine

Edited by Zhunter

There are adapters out there to mount them to the porsche turbo (snail type) transmission and there have been a few conversions to other transmissions.

I've never really been a huge V.A.G fan (does anyone else find it funny that IPB censors that?), not sure why, but these little motors are really cool. You'll be a little better off than me in this country finding performance parts, but still (sadly) less than others.

I also feel there may be some sump issues with these? I have no idea where the sump is but they're slung all the way in front of the axle.

If it could be put in there with a decent transmission, go for it! Search teh interwebz for adapters, I'm pretty sure there's an R154 adapter out there somewhere, I wouldn't waste my time with the audi boxes, some of them can be fiddley and you'd have a needles front diff casting taking up space.

Edited by MAG58

• 6 months later...

I'm not sure why you'd want to though. A KA/SR trans maybe, but you'd just nuke the L series tranny....

Hi buddy . . . its always an impressive job to be done . . . or you can consider it as "it takes guts to be up there" but at the same you can swap it by "it takes money to be up there " . .. because in such interests money matters a lot as u know that money makes the mare go . . . . any ways best of luck for future projects :)))))) .. . keep it up ! !

I work at an Audi shop that specializes in these motors and have wondered this myself... there are a few things that can be done.... use the awd tranny and weld the center diff....BUT this trans is HUGE...dimensionally and weight wise... I would think you would need to cut the tunnel to get this tranny in...better idea would be making a flywheel and a transmission adapter plate for something like a Bord Warner T-5, or maybe A Nissan Z32 transmission...something pretty strong and readily available throughout the country

Edited by lumberjackj