HybridZ

Throw Out Bearing Collar

meijerbrantm

I just picked up a South Bend l28et clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. To make sure I have the right collar in my 240z, I'm just going to buy another one. I'm not really sure where to source these. The dealership was no help because they just have like 4 different part numbers for the same year and what not. So does anyone either know what the part number is that I need. I also have the stock 240z 4 speed in my car.

4tobear_specs1a.jpg

Also, someone on here has the "type B 4 speed". Now I know it's bigger than the 5 speed one I need, but I have an adjustable slave and I'm just wondering if it will adjust small enough so that I could use that one. Any insight would be appreciative. Thanks!

What trans you have makes no difference it is the pressure plate height that matters.

I have no idea regrading the clutch you have but a quick search for Clutch Collar brought this article up regarding L28ET clutches and collars;

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/84365-throw-out-bearingcollar-question/page__p__799532__hl__clutch+collar+length__fromsearch__1#

The type of trans you have DOES matter. I had to experiment with this when I did my turbo swap. The stock N/A ZX 5 speed paired with the turbo flywheel and PP needs the longest one. If I were to use the Turbo 5 speed, I would have needed the second longest one. I would go with the second longest one in your situation(only because you have an adjustable slave).

The type of trans you have DOES matter. I had to experiment with this when I did my turbo swap. The stock N/A ZX 5 speed paired with the turbo flywheel and PP needs the longest one. If I were to use the Turbo 5 speed, I would have needed the second longest one. I would go with the second longest one in your situation(only because you have an adjustable slave).

If you are absolutely sure the trans is the determining factor here, not the pressure plate, you may want set one of the fore most Datsun Gurus around, Mr. Carl Beck, straight regarding his technical insight on Datsun Clutch collars in the link below. :wink:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26047

Edited by Lt. Cdr. Tom Dodge

that's what i'd like to get, but i'm not sure of either the part number or where to source one. Any leads?

Autozone. $20~. Order one for a 1983 280zx N/A.

And as for the trans, it does matter. I know this from personal experience. My Turbo trans took one size collar. Then my N/A trans (with same turbo flywheel and clutch) took a different size collar.

Edit: The trans is not the DETERMINING factor, it is a combonation of the trans and flywheel/clutch combo.

Edited by S130Z

Um, the transmission has no bearing whatsoever on the bearing collar. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. You are wrong.

I used the same collar with a 1971 4-speed, 1978 5-speed, and 1992 Z32 5-speed. The collar depends on the clutch pressure plate.

I have to go with KTM on this one, the height of the pressure plate fingers for proper engagement is what determines the height, and even though there are four collars shown in the photo, generally there are two which will work in all situations.

"Short and Long"

The difference between the other two of 'medium length' will ONLY matter if you have some funky non-standard clutch assembly which has a thicker build depth on the clutch facing, or when it's very worn and you want to get right to the rivets before having engagement issues.

There are actually many more collars that what have been mentioned, each with their own part number, and what it ends up being is fractional millimeters of clutch life at the very end of the discs service life.

In most cases, if you have retrofit an adjustable slave ROD, it will not matter one whit unless you get the absolute shortest collar and fit it to the shortest PP assembly (finger height distance-wise). Then the rod may not be long enough, even with the adjustment all the way out for proper disengagement of the clutch.

Selecting the wrong collar is not the end of the world, there are different length rods out there to fit to the slave which will acoomodate for this as well, about 5mm different (longer or shorter) on this rod and you will get proper function restored without having to drop the tranny and put in the right height collar.

Unfortunately I am too far away right now (Jakarta) to be able to go out with a depth mic and measure the T5 housing, but the PRESSURE PLATE height on an L28ET Diaphragm is exactly the same no matter what tranny is in it. The T5 argument is as simple to resolve as this: measure the engine mounting flange distance to back of throwout collar distance near the input shaft furthest riding point, and compare with the N/A five speed. You will find, in addition to the pivot ball distance (the last adjustable point in the system, fulcrum point) that the combination will be a Nissan Standard Distance.

This leaves the installed height of the diaphragm the ONLY factor in determining which length collar to use. Someone stating "N/A 5 Speed" needs to remember these cars are 40 years old, and can have any number of components swapped in the past. That you have an L28 Five speed does not mean it's got an L28 clutch cover and collar in there, especially if it's in an early 240---some people have swapped clutches from their existing L24/26 to their L28 because it was still a good clutch. No reason not to do it, and it works fine.

If you get it wrong, alter the rod length. The only time it gets critical is if you get the longer collar and you physically have a 'crush situation' and that should not happen with the Datsun automotive collars. Which is what upsets me about Eric's illustration above... they are giving an irrelevant distance (or have it diagrammed wrong)---the operational / functional distance is from the collar engagement to the bearing face---there is plenty of backspacing to accomodate any collar in any tranny. They also left off 'A' series 5 speed... When you start looking at it from fork to bearing face (the effective working length when pivoted on the fulcrum point) you will find FAR more pertinent information, and 2 or 3mm difference will not make a shite bit of matter. Forklift stuff doesn't count.

Edited by Tony D