HybridZ

KA/SR fuel system

awoz87

So I have done a lot of searching but can not seem to find the answer. I have a 73 240z, I'm looking to put a ka24de into and down the line turbo it. It seems like running the low psi pump to surge tank to high psi pump is a popular option. now what about swapping in a fuel tank from an EFI z? Im guessing people have thought about it, and most likely done it, just cant really find the info.

thanks

Edited by awoz87

nah, got it in and running only to find out it needed a headgasket. or so i thought. after i got that replaced and running it was still spitting out coolant, the head is cracked :( still looking for a cheap head to throw on, figure i might as well start mapping out the ka swap though.

but yeah, from the research i did guys run a low psi pump to the surge tank then a high pressure pump after the surge tank. just gotta make sure both move the same volume. reasoning for this is the lack of baffles in the 240z and 260z tanks, and after even more searching i guess the 280 tank is not even that baffled.

I took out the stock tank and cutout the spare tire well and mounted a camaro LS1 plastic tank. I paid a $100 for it with the fuel pump and sending unit. Then ran new lines foward. I figuared to find a good tank and buying the pump this was just a cheaper and easier way to go if you don't mind cutting the spare tire well.

There are alot of guys here that use the ls1 fuel tank. I don't have any pictures right now but you would only see the spare tire well in my trunk area cut out and the top of the tank. Look it up in the search button. there are write ups on how to do it. The only thing you have to do to the fuel pump is knock out the pressure regulator that is built into the pump.

• 2 months later...

Another option is to remove your fuel tank, cut a hole in the bottom, weld a sump onto the bottom over the hole and there you go. Make sure that the hole in the tank is quite a bit smaller than the sump size so that the fuel does not slosh out of it when you corner. This traps fuel in it, at the lowest point of the tank. You can buy a sump or make your own. I made my own for my l28et 240z out of sheet metal and welded bungs onto it to fit my desired fittings. I ran this setup with a walbro 255 and had no issues. It looks really cool too. My brother runs this on his LS1 setup without any problems too.

post-1122-060446800 1286829717_thumb.jpg

Edited by colerongo

• 7 months later...

Another option is to remove your fuel tank, cut a hole in the bottom, weld a sump onto the bottom over the hole and there you go. Make sure that the hole in the tank is quite a bit smaller than the sump size so that the fuel does not slosh out of it when you corner. This traps fuel in it, at the lowest point of the tank. You can buy a sump or make your own. I made my own for my l28et 240z out of sheet metal and welded bungs onto it to fit my desired fittings. I ran this setup with a walbro 255 and had no issues. It looks really cool too. My brother runs this on his LS1 setup without any problems too.

that is what i'm doing now. i had the sump put in but i also used a perforated sheet of metal to make a baffle.

IMG00174-20110524-1959.jpg

hopefully the car will be up and running soon and I can share my results

so far on off ramps and on ramps, i havent had a problem with an the stock fuel pump as a pre-pump to an external 255 leaning out at all, and a circle g test. but my tests were with half filled stock 73 tank. having a surge tank isnt a bad idea at all though, ill contribute once i get mine sorted out. that looks pretty good itzgoten.