HybridZ

L28ET to GM Auto

Bernardd

I know a few of you have made conversions. I would like an o/d unit that is capable of holding more than the jatco 4n71b. Post up any info, or conversions for sale and or how'd you go about making your own conversion.

I haven't seen James Thagard post here recently, but he made an adapter plate kit for the GM trannies. I have one of his kits that I'm using for my power glide. He may be able to make another "kit" for the right price. It might be worth trying to track him down. His website used to be www.speedshopthagard.com, but it doesn't seem he has it anymore as the site is dead.

Warren has made the swap to a 2004R from a Grand National, having made his own pieces and bought one piece - the flexplate to converter adapter from someone else.

He is selling the whole kit, but I don't know for how much, but eventually I will buy one for my car.

@ Spork: I chat with James every now and then about turbo things and such. I have all his info and cell#. I'm looking for an individual that did a conversion who is from the northwest.

@Bradman: that conversion would be perfect for what I want. I'll pm him and see what he says.

I'm looking for an individual that did a conversion who is from the northwest.

I have done it, I'm in portland oregon, its not all that hard to do really. I still have all my prints I think. let me know and I will look for them.

here is what my conversion looked like:

046.jpg

045.jpg

DSC07892.jpg

DSC07893.jpg

Edited by zcar?

AHA!! I was hoping you'd chime in. I would be very interested in any info you're willing to share. What transmission did you use? What did you do for a converter and how did you manage the convert mounting? Thanks again for any info you can provide.

Bernard

After a search on your posts I see that you're willing to make another adapter so that's the way I'd go if you're still up for it.

Edited by Bernardd

AHA!! I was hoping you'd chime in. I would be very interested in any info you're willing to share. What transmission did you use? What did you do for a converter and how did you manage the convert mounting? Thanks again for any info you can provide.

Bernard

After a search on your posts I see that you're willing to make another adapter so that's the way I'd go if you're still up for it.

I would be more than willing to make another run of adapters. where are you located? in the northwest I hope. I used a th350 but you can use any trans that came behind a sbc. and the converter just bolts to a stock flexplate from gm. pm me what you want to do and we can talk about it there.

Jeremy

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had to dig, but I thought I would provide what information I still have on the swap.  If "Zcar?" can get the adapter plate in 0.5" aluminum (I think that was the thickness of my old adapter, Spork can verify) you can then use the following information.

Flex Plate adapter

FLEXPLATE_ADAPTER.jpg

First step was to install the adapter...

trannyadapter1.jpg

Next install the OEM flywheel, which I think was from a maxima

trannyadapter2.jpg

I then installed the flexplate adapter

trannyadapter3.jpg

I then installed the Wilcap flex plate

trannyadapter4.jpg

At this point the back of the L28 will mirror a Chevy engine so you can use off the shelf converters and transmissions.

Edited by 240Z Turbo

• 2 weeks later...

Once you bolt up the transmission, you simply pull the converter forward until it seats on the ringless flexplate.  There is a 0.5" gap between the OEM flexplate and the ringless flex plate, which allows sufficient space to install the converter bolt.  You then rotate the crank and access the next bolt until you are done.