HybridZ

L6 just not sure

cbclarkkent

Ok its my first post and Im a total newbie but here goes. I just picked up a 72 240z. It has been sitting in a barn for the last nine years with the engine out of it. The guy pulled the engine and said he lost interest. I bought the car with the intention of putting a small block ford in it. However I do like the thought of keeping the 6 mainly for the sound and keeping it "pure breed". The engine is in pieces and I keep reading how they just dont hold up for the long haul. So what do you guys think? I just want to end up with a pretty serious, uncomfortable, rough riding, loud, neighbors hate me, fun car. :P

Ok its my first post and Im a total newbie but here goes. I just picked up a 72 240z. It has been sitting in a barn for the last nine years with the engine out of it. The guy pulled the engine and said he lost interest. I bought the car with the intention of putting a small block ford in it. However I do like the thought of keeping the 6 mainly for the sound and keeping it "pure breed". The engine is in pieces and I keep reading how they just dont hold up for the long haul. So what do you guys think? I just want to end up with a pretty serious, uncomfortable, rough riding, loud, neighbors hate me, fun car. :P

You can do that with a L6. My L6 put out 423 rwhp with built motor/holset turbo/megasquirt.

• Administrators

HUH? Who said that? :? The L-series might not be the newest design, but it's damn near indestructible.

Ditto what Tim said.

Sugar coat this best I can....

Who/whatever told you the L-series doesn't hold for the long haul, my suggestion is, never take advice from that source ever again. Clearly obvious that source has no clue. :wink:

Honestly I read it in one of the v8 forums on this website. I have been trolling the v8 forums for about a month now so I couldnt tell you where I read it exactly but it was for sure on this very site. But anyway, since you say its less than accurate lets assume I go with the six. My engine is an L24 with the original head. Most everything I read about is either the L28 or the stroker kits, so does this mean the L24 is less popular as a power making platform? I guess in short I dont want to have to change the head and crank plus buy a complete rebuild kit, then track down all the required efi/turbo parts and end up spending 3 times as much as a stock v8 that I could have picked up off Craigslist that puts out similar power. Of course I know with the v8 Ill have to upgrade the whole rear suspension so thats an added cost but Im sure you understand what Im getting at. Oh and by the way Im not factoring in a trans as a decideing factor since my car is an auto and we both know that just doesnt belong in a sports car.

Honestly I read it in one of the v8 forums on this website. I have been trolling the v8 forums for about a month now so I couldnt tell you where I read it exactly but it was for sure on this very site. But anyway, since you say its less than accurate lets assume I go with the six. My engine is an L24 with the original head. Most everything I read about is either the L28 or the stroker kits, so does this mean the L24 is less popular as a power making platform? I guess in short I dont want to have to change the head and crank plus buy a complete rebuild kit, then track down all the required efi/turbo parts and end up spending 3 times as much as a stock v8 that I could have picked up off Craigslist that puts out similar power. Of course I know with the v8 Ill have to upgrade the whole rear suspension so thats an added cost but Im sure you understand what Im getting at. Oh and by the way Im not factoring in a trans as a decideing factor since my car is an auto and we both know that just doesnt belong in a sports car.

How much power do you intend on making? The L24 is a good reliable motor like all the L motors, but if you want to make power upwards of 300h.p. you may want to go the small block route. If you don't want to deal with engine management, turbo, and EFI. Drop in a L28 n/a stroker if you want to keep the Datsun somewhat true to its roots.

Well thanks for helping me out guys. Even though I really like the six it just seems I have the wrong one. I kind of feel if Im going to buy another engine altogether, I might as well buy something Im a little more familiar with, which is more so domestic engines than import engines. Guess I need to donate so I can list some parts in the classified section of this site. Thanks again.

Well I guess I should ask this. Whats makes the L24 so undesirable to build as a power motor. I mean I was reading a few posts after I searched just the phrase L24 on here and read a few threads where guys are literally throwing their L24 blocks away to scrap yards. They only kept the rods since they can be sold to people doing the stroker motor. I mean is the motor just so much different than the L28? What gives? I have yet to read a particular reason why the L24 just isnt any good for performance. I guess I should give you my definition of performance. An engine that can be either turbo'd and make 300hp or run high compression pistons and make similar power. I could go on and on but I just need a straight answer.

• Administrators

Well I guess I should ask this. Whats makes the L24 so undesirable to build as a power motor.

Because an L24 has a street value of $25.00. An L28, $30.00.

Point is, there isn't much monetary difference between the two. BUT, the L28 has 16% more displacement and, all things being equal, 16% more power is a pretty darn good return on your money.

If you're rules restricted, the story is different. If not, the decision is simplified.

Can we close this thread now?

Video is awesome, thanks. Sounds wicked. As far as 16% more power, thats the only difference? Couldnt you just bore the engine a bit to gain a little displacement? The only point Im trying to make is that I have an L24 sitting in the garage that I know bolts in and keeps thing simples but if the engine has no aftermarket support (compared to the L28) or its going to require tons of mods that are extremely expensive then yeah I might as well just go with all the upgrading the v8 will require. So lets also say the L24 and L28 can both make 400+ hp then since I only looking 300hp I guess Im good?

So lets also say the L24 and L28 can both make 400+ hp then since I only looking 300hp I guess Im good?

I don't see how you can conclude that an L24 can make 400+ HP. While I'm sure it can be done via turbo, I don't think it would qualify as reliable or friendly on the street. Many here have done that with the L28 though.

I think the point others are making is that if you're going to go to the effort to build up an L engine to make 300+ HP, you may as well start with an L28 block since they're so inexpensive, even if you already have an L24. By the time you add the fuel delivery, exhaust, head, etc, the extra money to source a stock dished piston L28 will be trivial, yet it will yield 16% more power over the L24 due to the larger displacement.

BTW, you should really think about the torque characteristics of the engines you're considering. A turbo L28 makes good torque above 3k rpm, but there's not a lot below 2500. Obviously a V8 with its larger displacement can make a lot of torque at lower RPM. If that matters to you, then go V8. Some people focus too much on HP when what they really want is torque.

I guess the real question then becomes, how much money do you have in your wallet? I'm positive you can make +300 HP with a L24...its just going to cost you more money than a number of different options that have already been explored, discussed, and documented in depth on this website.

Guys I dont think we really need to discuss it any further. Im going with the small block ford since I know without a doubt it will give me what I want. I wasnt trying to ruffle any feathers on the 24 vs 28 I was just trying to figured out why one is done and the other not so much. I used the search function but even if you put in L24 tons of L28 topics come up. I have three kids and a wife so I cant read 300+ pages. I figure I can just ask one of you gentlemen and get a good answer. Search functions are great on any car forum you go on but when it comes down to it, sometimes you cant narrow the topic down enough. Thanks for the info.