HybridZ

Which motor to go with

woodboxer

Hey guys

I have two ideas,,,, first if was to do the turbo switch in the 86, what does everybody think,,, should i keep the current motor and install the turbo gear on it or install the turbo motor, I have heard that the regular motor with the turbo gets better compression and us eless boost. But the turbo motor is better equipped to handle the turbo. What are your thoughhts??????

On the other hand the 280,,, would i be better to install a 350 chev, or maybe try thr turbo300 in it?

Please give me any ideas u may have.

Once i start it will be late to swirch then ,,,LOL

thanks bob

That's the route I went.

And here's the reason that this thread is probably going to get shedded. Nothing wrong with the question per se or the answer, but you're just going to end up with everyone telling you what they want to do to the car because it's the best for them. It's your car do what you want. Listening to HBZ sometimes for technical advice or learning what does or does not break, etc. etc. is usually a solid plan but you're not going to end up with your car and, IMO ultimately you'll not be as happy as if you did what you wanted to do. 

If you cant figure out what to do with your car before you've even started there's an extremely high chance you wont make it through to the end. Take some time, sit down, think'bout it, and find what you want to do and what excites you. If you're not really motivated about what you want to do the car you'll most likely never see it all the way through.

Just my .02

Yeah. Just to add a few things to what MAG said. He pretty much summed it up. I wouldn't start anything until you've researched the decision thoroughly on this site. Please search the forums thoroughly. The FAQ section has some very good turbo swap threads to read, as well as the turbo sub forum. It goes over turbocharging the NA l28 as well as the factory turbo.

Search for threads that discuss v8 vs. turbo. They are out there and have discussions from guys that have had both cars. There are ups and downs to each. Although in my research I have yet to see a true drawback to the v8 chevy swap other than it not being "nissan" and requiring some permanent modification to the car.

With that said, welcome to the site, it is truly invaluable to any gearhead not just someone working on datsuns and Z's. Please clean up your posts in regards to punctuation and structure though. Proper sentence structure greatly aids in the readability of your posts and is something that is actually enforced well on this site(another reason it is so great).

Good luck on the project