HybridZ

odd vibration, rear end?

A vibration in the car started while driving yesterday but I can't figure out exactly where it is coming from. It happens in all gears, even with cluth released, and is most noticable in the upper gears and with higher speed. I can feel it in the shifter and the steering wheel slightly and it is very pronounced in the gas pedal and the rear view mirrors. I can't hear it coming from anywhere.

A couple things you should know: 1. the driveshaft bolts feel tight

2. the half shaft bolts feel tight

3. there isn't any play in the u-joints anywhere

4. the vibration does not get worse when turning the car

If anyone has any ideas I'm kind of stumped and could use some help. Thanks!

Double check the driveshaft bolts, the driveshaft spins at the speed of the diff flange.

It sounds like what happened to my car when the DS bolts loosened up.

If not that, check your tires/wheel weights

Edited by FlatBlack

I'm guessing you have a 260Z...like flatblack suggested, double check your driveshaft and halfshaft bolts...it cant hurt. Also, Just because a u-joint feels like it doesnt have any play, its pretty difficult to be sure of it unless you have your driveshaft or halfshaft out of the car. If you have grease fittings on your u-joints, try giving them another shot of grease. Check your lugnuts to make sure they're tight.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, here's an update. I found a couple loose halfshaft bolts on both sides. Driveshaft bolts were tight. So I took the car for a test run and all seemed well for a few minutes until I started reaching speed and the vibration started again, only more pronounced. There was a momentary metal-on-metal rubbing sound and so I limped back to the shop.......where I found nothing. Everything under the car is tight and all seems well. The only thing left to do seems like pulling the rear end and having a look but again if anyone has any more suggestions I would be grateful.