HybridZ

WideBody Wheel Options

Hi Guys,

I'm new to Z's but not Datsuns. I have a '69 510 that has been thoughtfully modded many in the drivetrain, so a lot of what I know transfers to Z's pretty easily. So here's my question: I'm interested in buying a imsa style widebody Z, but doing research on just wheel and tire options has left me undecided. What have widebody owners done to make tire costs more reasonable? Larger diameter wheels? Tire Rack wants $563.00 each for new 345/35-15's. Insane. TIA

Tom

Check out Mickey Thompson tires they cost a lot less. As for wheels we are using a Panasport 3 piece racing wheels. I you can fit a 16X12 or even a 14 under the rear fenders of an IMSA bodykit.

I thought the same thing as you, so over the weekend I looked at the MT Sportsman tires and they are TALL for a 12" wide rim. Like 4" taller than the 345/35's!

I thought about going to a larger diameter wheel since 15"'s just aren't as popular as they used to be, and so when I called diamond racing this morning and asked, the largest wheel diameter they do is 16" and that's not as popular a size as it used to be either.

Montezuma, what size wheels/tires are you running on your car? Still 15's?

I know of one IMSA owner who is using take-off racing rain tires to fit his wide 15 inch wheels. This is illegal (not D.O.T. approved) and dangerous because of the thin sidewalls. Larger diameter wheels seems the way to go, 17 at least. I couldn't find any street tires in 16 that are wide enough and short enough in diameter. I don't know of any inexpensive combinations for the street.

Here's one with 17 inch wheels.

untitled-2.jpg

Edited by zlalomz

There really is no reasonable low cost way to go to wide wheels. You either have to invest in changing over to five lug to either Ford 5 lug or GM 5 lug pattern, and your wheel options endless. Your widebody tire sizes (rear) range from 335/35 -17, 335-30 18 and then your 345 /19 and 20's( C6 ZO6 sizes). Boze, CCW and HRE off the top of my head will make you a 4-lug Datsun bolt pattern wheel, at a minimum you will pay $2000.00 for wheels alone and the prices goes up from there. It costs to go wide, unless you get lucky and run into a great deal. Also, tire choices Michelin PS2, BFGoodrich, Kumho, and Nitto -Goodyear.

Sorry but you have to "pay to play" You can cheap out with inferior wheels/tires, which is fine if your going for a "look". If you want the performance, there is no way around it.

If you are going to go really wide, and you want to put some huge power down, do you really want to put that stress through a low buck knock off cast wheel? Even with cheap tires, you are going to get more grip which is going to put more stress on the entire driveline (skinny drag radials not withstanding) Let alone the extra weight of the larger wheels/tires vs unsprung weight.

Also consider Compomotive USA for custom wheels in our bolt pattern. I run custom sized 3piece wheels made by Simmons (I heard they closed due to the owner passing away) so I guess they are unavailable now. (17x11 and 17x8) and I am using Yokohama AVS sport tires 315/35/17 and 235/35/17's Very nice tires for street and some track use..even pretty good in the rain. (reasonable amounts of rain..heavy rain..forget it, might as well park the car when you have super wide tires.)

Finding a wide wheel "off the shelf"? Forget it, custom is the only real way to go. I decided to "go big or go home" with my wheels figuring it would be the last set of wheels I would buy for the car.

Good luck!

ZR8ED,

I understand and agree with what you are saying about cheaping out. That's why I was asking about the larger diameter wheels. I know if you throw enough money at anything you can make it the way you want it, I just try to spend mine wisely since I enjoy having it in my pocket:D. The car I'm looking at buying only has the rears and they look the same as these wheels:

e41fe06fa2.th.jpg

If anyone can tell me what they are or if someone has a pair they are willing to sell I'd be interested.

I tried to attach the pic in two different ways since I'm not sure how this forum works yet.

Tom

post-12619-048207500 1280336343_thumb.jpg

$563.00 :blink:

OMG I thought my car was wide. Those cars are seriously wide.

My car only has 245-50-15 in the rear, which doesn't seem to be available in a street legal tire anymore. At least I can still get a 235-50-15.

07-14-10_024.jpg

07-14-10_021.jpg

Nice car!

I thought the same thing as you, so over the weekend I looked at the MT Sportsman tires and they are TALL for a 12" wide rim. Like 4" taller than the 345/35's!

I thought about going to a larger diameter wheel since 15"'s just aren't as popular as they used to be, and so when I called diamond racing this morning and asked, the largest wheel diameter they do is 16" and that's not as popular a size as it used to be either.

Montezuma, what size wheels/tires are you running on your car? Still 15's?

We will be running Panasport 16X10 in the front and 16X12 on the rear. We have not settled on tires as of yet. The car is still in the paint and body shop.