HybridZ

Sigh, The P.I. has changed a lot...

Tony D

Oh, don't buy it for a second. The Dutch were whoring and raping for CENTURIES before there was an America! Remember 'New York' was 'New Amsterdam' for a long while. It's where the term 'slave wages' was coined. See, the Dutch didn't want slaves living in the city where lodging them was far too expensive. They paid them 'wages' to get a small flat or house on the outskirts of New Amsterdam. But they still owned them. (The first commuters in America were slaves---nothing changeds in 300+ years!) And if the local indigineous tribes happened to kill a few now and again that's what the Dutch had insurance for...

No great loss, 'We're covered for that!' Sucks to be the dead, but then again it always did. But hey, it's only money right, the underwriter took his chances and lost the gamble no bonus for him that quarter!

This bit of useless trivia and historical fact (who said there was no slavery in the north, usually someone from the N.E. USA!) brought to you by countless hours of time on a plane... :lol:

Don't even get me started on the VOC!

Edited by Tony D

I know mentioning a 'remedy' after the event pisses most people off but flashing wallets is a nono. Use a money belt and carry just a bit of cash in your pocket. If you want some more find somewhere private to dig it out eg a toilet.

No, it was a false-wallet impression 260DET. I already mentioned I screwed up by not following my own protocols. I rarely go out with anything in the wallet, I usually only have my US Driver's license and whatever creditcard I will need. Local cash is loose in the pocket and usually inventoried and segregated. Generally I survey what I will order, do a total in my head, and like you mentioned go to the toilet first.

But it was 1130, and I got the hankering for McDO and Mc Spaghetti. Hadn't had anything all day to that point. I figured it was a 'quick jaunt' to the McD's (I can see it from the hotel entrance straight down the block!) As such I slipped my shoes on, and went down there. I figured I would be back at the room by midnight at the latest.

I didn't have my celphone (which is probably why I still have them!) It was a 5 minute trip to get some munchies and go back to the hotel room and revied PID drawings for a HAZOP meeting I have in India next week. As soon as the guy flashed his gun the FIRST thing that went through my mind was 'F! I got $400 in my wallet instead of with my passport back in the room.' Second was 'they don't get the wallet no matter what.'

I had the pesos, and there was no reason for me to have that cash on me AT ALL. Usually I carry local cash in a separate loose wad in the pocket and don't take the wallet out. But this time it was enough that I had to pull a 500 peso note out (about $10) to get change made at the counter.

Honestly I've been back to there 3 X now to eat lunch and have had no issues. I was just there at the wrong time when they were operating. If it wasn't me, it would have been someone else.

Frankly, I'm kind of glad I had the money, as one of my ATM cards DOES work here, and there is no daily limit. They could have gotten FAR more strongarming me for that had I not had a decent haul of cash in the wallet. They actually let me show them the compartments, they DID NOT take the wallet. I kept it in my hand and handed them the bills. This saved them from seeing my Platinum UA card, Citibank Card, Capitol One...and three different ATM cards (none of which are SIM Chip Enabled as they are all US Banks!)

Given what the potential loss was....I got off light. But if I happen to see the guy again in the next four nights I have left here, there may be something in the papers. Now that I'm relatively sure on the non-official status of this guy he's marked.

I'm Italian. I may run across him in 5 years. If the circumstances dictate I could get away with something, I will 'respond in kind to his kindness' then.

Hmmm, tourist getting robbed by alleged local P.D. ....that's sounds about normal. It has changed though because 1- he wore a coat and 2- he actually left you currency even though it's from other countries. 3- they let you live. they HAVE changed! Sorry it happened to you Tony, but you know how it is there, you have to know somebody to get to that somebody. Anyway, eat some lechon for me im glad to see they didn't hurt you.

Lechon in Cebu the first week I was there. All was good until that Makati City incident.

Overall it was a good trip, but I would have liked to keep my $400...

That hindsight thing is a real pain, because I know now (as opposed to suspect) that they weren't real cops, or at least on-duty cops. They had bad, sloppy tactical interaction, and I could have gotten out of it without loosing my money. But the uniform gave that moment of pause just long enough until I was in an untennable position and could not really take action.

Then again, throwing even a semi-uniformed looks-like-a-cop through the second floor windows of McD's might draw some 'splainin' I wasn't wanting to do anwyay. "Pinoy Tossing" is probably not well-looked upon by the local REAL constabulary. There was a nice Car-Jacking Ring broken up while I was there, got the guy with the hand grenade and submachine gun and everything.

I would suggest against Makati City and Burgos Road area in particular. Why I couldn't be lodged in the Crown Plaza or Intercontinental by one of the SM centers is beyond me...

Oh, and I grew an affinity for sisig, even more than the Lechon. I subsisted on Lechon, sisig, manok / bak bak.

Edited by Tony D

I would suggest against Makati City and Burgos Road area in particular. Why I couldn't be lodged in the Crown Plaza or Intercontinental by one of the SM centers is beyond me...

Suggest against the Burgos Road area? and miss all the fun?

boxing.jpg

What hotel were you in? I stayed at the Makati Palace for a few days.

• 3 months later...

Damn...I've been really lucky! Knock on wood...I've never had any bad experiences in the PI, or any other of the "fun" places I've had to go for work & play...I have a small money clip that only has an ATM card & my 1000 Peso bills. I keep that in my front pocket, and in the opposite, I'll carry 1,000-2,000P in small bills to spend on drinks, food, taxi. The rest stays in my room safe with my passport. I usually will stay in the Angeles City area though, and I'm pretty connected there, so have a small measure of protection. One of these days, I'll get around to taking another vacation there again. My last was in '07...

Yeah, I made the observation that during a rainstorm as a passenger in a Jeep you should carry the wallet in the left front pocket, but if in a tricycle you get wet no matter what...

Just got back to Shanghai from another two weeks there, between Manila, Pasig, Lucena City, Cavite, and Batangas region...

No midget lady boxing...shame... :lol:

I knew the rules, I lamented being stupid enough that I didn't follow my own rules!