HybridZ

Damn Z again!!!

Ok this is just pissing me off now. The car died a while back and I thought there was a short but I replaced the battery and all was well. Now the battery stopped holding a charge again so what is ruining my batteries?

(third battery I have been through, drives one day and the next the battery won't hold a charge, put a new battery in it and the car fires right up)

What is destroying batteries?

I would, but I just re read, it says it stops holding a charge, normally a bad altenator just doesnt charge the battery and leaves it dead.

Do you mean the battery wont charge by itself out of the car, or just doesnt recharge in the car. Check the charging voltage while its running. Or try a paracitic drain test.

Sounds like a parasitic draw.. Check for it with a meeter hooked up in series with the battery.. (disconnect a battery cable and put the meter at the battery to the disconected cable with the car off) helps if you got a charged battery too. Anything over about 0.5v is high. If it is, start pulling fuses one by one to pinpoint the circuit that's drawing the power.

• 10 months later...

Ok this is just pissing me off now. The car died a while back and I thought there was a short but I replaced the battery and all was well. Now the battery stopped holding a charge again so what is ruining my batteries?

(third battery I have been through, drives one day and the next the battery won't hold a charge, put a new battery in it and the car fires right up)

What is destroying batteries?

Start the car, disconnect the battery and if it shuts off you got a bad alternator.