HybridZ

1971 240z rb25det build thread

5thgenluder

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s been a long time since I updated this thread.  You all deserve better.    I didn’t get much done on it last year.   I purchased a house and have been remodeling that for the last 2 years. So unfortunately the z went on the back burner.    Here’s what went wrong.   

The headlights stopped working.  Turns out that the high beam lever on the stalk broke apart on the inside. It looks like it had a spring in it that moved a contact point.   Have yet to find a replacement.   Wired it out for now and put my high beams on a switch.   

Radiator leaked.   I need to find some better fitting radiator hoses.  I found what I could at autozone when I did the engine swap but they aren’t perfect.   

I spent a good good couple days rewiring my dash.   It was a rats nest and was completely unserviceable.  Added some molex plugs so that thing like gauges and the dash itself can be removed.   

This spring I plan to make it more of a priority and get some more done on it.   

Funny story.   I really thought I had a rare car until I show up at a small car meet 20 miles from my car and another rb z pulls up and parks next to me.  74DBD849-63B8-426B-BA11-CAC73C6323B1.jpeg.0e0c614698734baa73053b908daf2e04.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I literally made an account just so I could thank you for this thread. Just finished reading through the last page and it's currently almost 2AM:lol: I have been considering buying a pos S30 as my first car and doing an RB swap on it, and this thread has certainly motivated me. If I do end up pulling the trigger I will be referring back to this thread on a daily basis. Thank you!!

• 7 months later...

This is a great build thread with loads of good info.  Great looking Z!  It’s an inspiration as i’m Just starting a build myself. My is a 280 that i’m fitting a RB25 in and modifying to look like a 240 on the exterior.  I’m starting with an ugly duckling so loads of repairs before I can even get to the fun stuff...but hey its all fun!

• 8 months later...
21 minutes ago, Jboogsthethug said:

Hey @5thgenluder, I can’t find details on this in the thread: how did you block off the evap tank? Did you just connect the lines to each other? And what did you do with the filler neck hole? Any problems with fuel overall?

I kept all the Evap lines. The one that went to the engine I instead connected to a fuel tank check valve. It’s like a valve that lets air in when fuel contracting but also seals below like 1-2psi to keep vapours from leaking out. I grabbed it from a civic or something. 

15 hours ago, mtnickel said:

I kept all the Evap lines. The one that went to the engine I instead connected to a fuel tank check valve. It’s like a valve that lets air in when fuel contracting but also seals below like 1-2psi to keep vapours from leaking out. I grabbed it from a civic or something. 

Interesting, that’s the first I’ve heard of one of these! Is this what you’re talking about?

https://m.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/fuel-tank-vent-valve/dorman-fuel-tank-vent-valve-911-738/honda/civic/907762_0_0?aqs=

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2010 at 8:57 PM, 5thgenluder said:

post-11227-021906400 1280717088_thumb.jpg

Here are a few more shots of the setup.

post-11227-088559100 1280717169_thumb.jpg

post-11227-077193800 1280717224_thumb.jpg

post-11227-031259400 1280717276_thumb.jpg

So I am trying to figure this out, the line that comes from the top of  the surge tank (Top left from your pics) and goes to the inlet on the main tank, what inlet are you referring to? Is it this one I've circled? If so, did you buy an adapter to make the hose fit? I'm doing pretty much the exact same thing as you and I'm stuck on this piece ha.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpg

Does anyone else have any insight? I'm not sure if 5thgen is active on the forums anymore.

My thought would be to use an adapter (Like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-16892?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjw8NfrBRA7EiwAfiVJpWgvs863kF2WgH_YOME5HUUOxOF0s8TI0HXcfFaaPvXiXeFHR-YUQhoCmJcQAvD_BwE), but I feel like with how thorough 5thgen is he would've mentioned that. Leads me to believe he easily hooked it up without needing adapters.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure how 5thgen hooked into the stock tank. I will let you know what I did and it has been working well for several years. The line on top of the tank (3/8ths) is a vent line that goes to the canister. I disconnected that vent line from the canister and used it as the return inlet for my fuel delivery system. I did that because the factory return inlet on the tank is only 1/4 inch, if that. An important note, if you use that 3/8th vent as a fuel return you must make sure the other larger vent line on the other side of the top of the tank is venting properly and that the hose is not crimped. I used the stock outlet (on the tank - 5/16ths) to supply my clicker pump that supplies my surge tank. If you need photos let me know.   

18 hours ago, wrcbonk said:

I am not sure how 5thgen hooked into the stock tank. I will let you know what I did and it has been working well for several years. The line on top of the tank (3/8ths) is a vent line that goes to the canister. I disconnected that vent line from the canister and used it as the return inlet for my fuel delivery system. I did that because the factory return inlet on the tank is only 1/4 inch, if that. An important note, if you use that 3/8th vent as a fuel return you must make sure the other larger vent line on the other side of the top of the tank is venting properly and that the hose is not crimped. I used the stock outlet (on the tank - 5/16ths) to supply my clicker pump that supplies my surge tank. If you need photos let me know.   

That's exactly what I was wondering. Did you just block off the 1/4 original return line?

As far as the Vent line you left behind, did you just run a line out the top and underneath to the back of the car so you don't get fumed out? I plan on also using the stock outlet to supply my ST. I believe I can visualize what you're talking about without photos, thank you so much!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/5/2011 at 10:01 PM, 5thgenluder said:

Guys I know you deserve a full update and I promise it is coming soon. Im gonna update the intake manifold how to, finish the fuel system, updated wiring schematic, safc install, few other miscelaneous things. I want to finish this how to. I really appreciate everyone giving me the help over the last few weeks. I almost feel like after I finish this part of the project I should just make a how-to write up and clean this whole thread up.

First Thank you so much for documenting your rebuild! 

Did you ever write up a final wiring schematic with the EZ wiring harness?

• 2 years later...

Did some updates this spring.  I added the silver mine electric power steering kit.  What a difference it makes parking, or pulling into my garage space.  I replaced my thermostat controller for my fan with the painless one and it’s great.  

I am still having issues with the brakes.  I had decent pedal feel then it suddenly went away.   I checked the reaction disc and it is in place but I suspect the brake booster.  If I pump the pedal and hold it then start the car the pedal does not sink when I start it.   I also get a hiss from the booster when holding the brake pedal down.  Everything I read says a bad booster would mean I have a firm pedal but I have a very soft pedal that has no pressure for about 90% of the throw. Then once it’s basically on the floor the brakes start to grab.  Any insight?  

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately I don't have any insight for you...but I wanted to say welcome back, it's great to hear from you...

If I had a wish, it would be for these forums to be as active as they used to be...so much incredible info here...but FB/IG seemingly have killed its utility.