HybridZ

1971 240z rb25det build thread

5thgenluder

Spent a little time on the car. Got almost all of the factory sound deadening material off of the drivers side floor pan. Been using a heat gun, screw driver, scraper and wire wheel. Im trying to tidy up the steering wheel wiring so that its all set to be put back together. I wired in the horn and ran some wires for the radio. I have a semi big plan for the stereo so Im gonna get that all wired and documented. I temporarily mounted the battery back in to make sure everything was the way I want it. I have the speedo in its cup and 2 of the other gauges mountable. I will document and post most likely over thanksgiving.

Anyone notice any mistakes so far? Bad wiring? Bad fuel setup? Anything?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words Pat1, Rs speed and Cristian. I know I have been slacking lately. All my free time has been spent drywalling a garage for a friend. Hopefully if the temperature gets above 30 tomorrow I can get some work done and some info posted.

Edited by 5thgenluder

i am removing my fuel lines on my 240z (feed, return, and the other small one that goes from the drivers side to the rear under the fuel cap). do i need to keep this small one to the fuel cap?. i see you removed it but what if you have a full tank in the summer. i know my plane weeps like a mo on hot days.... but i dont know what this hose is for either...

Edited by boostedh23a1

Boostedh23a.

You can not completely seal off the fuel system. The fuel tank won't even allow you till fill it all the way up on a hot day without a vent. My solution was to just vent my tank to the hose in the filler neck and then get a vented gas cap to allow the fumes and vapor to escape. I did not have my stock charcoal canister. If I did have it I probably would have retained that. I have also heard of people attaching a hose on the top to vent the tank and then wrapping it in a loop under the car to vent.

ok, but just to be clear, i can ditch that hard line that runs from the front of the car (charcoal, number 9 in this pic)

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9503&d=1128801645

so i will endup with something like this, but with the pictured line running from the tank back to the charcoal canister blocked off.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9504&d=1128801645

Edited by boostedh23a1

Update

Speedo in housing.

So I got a speedo from speedhut. It has the turn signal and bright indicators built in. It wasnt as easy as the Tach. I needed to make something to put pressure on the gauge to hold it tight against the factory ring. I went to the trusty home depot looking for a drain cap as I read in another thread. Maybe KTM? I didnt find what I saw in the other thread but I did find a 4" knock out test plug. I bought 2 of them and went on my way. I had to punch out one of them and cut a hole in the other. I also had to knotch the sides for the bolts in the housing. Heres a pic to help describe.

post-11227-046958000 1291189956_thumb.jpg

I atatched that to the other ring with electrical tape.

post-11227-056981300 1291190022_thumb.jpg

Then I put it all back together. I had to sand it to make it perfect but it was easy enough. Heres a pic of the back..

post-11227-008786300 1291190095_thumb.jpg

Here is the finished product from the front.

post-11227-007432700 1291190148_thumb.jpg

Rings were about $2.00 ( not even gonna add that up.)

Any questions?