HybridZ

Wiring harness tape/heat shield

Hi,

Having mostly lurked for a couple years, I know you guys are masters of the universe when it comes to every aspect of engine adaptation, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

My ride is definitely o/t ('48 Chevy) but I am using an LT1/4L60E combo out of a '95 Caprice like several of you. My questions are about crafting a harness. I figured out the Caprice harness my lump came with was a lot more complicated than I needed, since it had all the body-related circuitry, so I got an F-body harness which has only the engine stuff. I wasn't very lucky in my purchase in that the harness I got has some cut wires, several splices, a few of which appear to be ok but a couple will have to be redone, and the previous owner replaced much of the black loom with red, which just won't do. I may replace the red with black but I was also contemplating doing away with much of the loom and simply wrapping the wires with tape in order to reduce their bulk and hopefully improve the appearance somewhat. Regardless of how I proceed, I was hoping to get some tape similar to the OE stuff which is a lot thinner than typical plastic electrical tape and seems to stick (at least to itself) better, as well. I've had the devil of a time finding it. My internet searches produce many results but I have little confidence I'm finding what I'm wanting. Anyone know a brand and part number or a source? Also, I'd like to find some insulating wrap that isn't too bulky that would be appropriate for wires that necessarily live near the headers (water temp, knock sensor, etc.)

I think I've got enough of a handle on the wiring circuitry to do the modifications I want (mostly emissions delete) but any other advice about adapting the harness would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance. -- Gary

Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwhile.
 -- Sir Wilfred Grenfell

Thanks, goodoldjam. I'll file that away for future reference.

I posted this question on another forum and got a recommendation for tape from Caspers Electronics:

http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...024492a24ad659

I ordered a roll and got it today and wanted to pass along that this appears to be the real deal. V thin and nicely adhesive. Haven't put it to the test yet but I'm thinking it'll be fine.

While I was researching this project I got a suggestion from a local electronics supply place for Scotch Super 33+ tape, available at the usual sources. I got a roll of it and think it might be a reasonable alternative to the Caspers stuff, although it's somewhat thicker.

Best -- Gary