HybridZ

Blow through turbo setups?

vega

So I was doing my daily cruise through the craigs list this morning- and I saw this guys setup he just sold. It has triple Weber blow through carbs with a toe turbo on his l24. Now I am thinking to myself. as i am looking at the setup. Well that looks darn easy. Perhaps too easy. Are there any good extensive write ups on here on how to swap the fuel injection OFF of my l28 (i have a 1978 280z five speed all stock)and put on the Weber setup to tune with a turbo? I have never seen anyone tune a blow through so I havn't a clue how it is done. I have done turbo cars with port tune injection before but NEVER have I done it with a carb setup. I am seriously thinking of doing this instead of a v8 swap- I just don't think my r200 will handle the KIND of tq the kind of v8 setup I can afford.

That being said any advice links heck where do i even get the weber carbs- or the pressure box? anything at all would be helpful!

thanx much

vega-

(oh and if you are in mn there are no guys into these in my area - I'm in anoka, mn if your in my area send me a pm I am trying to setup some z meets up here)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am currently trying to get my setup running. I've started it once and it sounded AMAZING. Right now I'm running 40mm Mikuni's with a Cartech box and a T04b turbo. Here's some pics

2v2a7m9.jpg

2z4hl5z.jpg

9vk3rb.jpg

Really and truly it's all 80's technology, but they did pretty good with designing the setup. The only thing I would change is the carb box, or plenum, just because I would like to design and make my own sheet metal box with a better flow.

where did you get the cartech box, the intake for the carbs, and the the carbs themselves? everything else makes pretty much sense to me. though how do you tune it with the box on the carbs like that? that is something that confuses me. I was thinking about running 3 kawasaki kx500 dirtbike carbs for response.

The conversion just to carbs is the first big step for me also.

HA! look what I found guys! I left them a message if they don't call me back tomorrow I will call them in the morning the next day. I have Friday off so- I really want to get this project going here before the first snow fall. I live in mn I have a garage heater but its propane so it smells bad in a locked up garage works great though.

http://www.extrudabody.biz/servlet/StoreFront

Looks like I can get most everything I need from these guys! :)

UG- I just gave Kevin at extrudabody a call- basically they don't do any carb setups- they have a plate for webers but that is about it.

The search is still on for a manifold that will work with my dirtbike carbs, and a box for the compressed air.

Here is what I built for a box

Carb_Box_1.JPG Blow_Through_Eng.JPG

One of the members did a model of the air flow and the first 2 cylinders is not that great. The Cartec would be about the same as mine. The tube on the top of the carbs is to increase the pressure in the float bowls.

My cost was about $40 for it.

Well here is my idea- because I want to run 6 dirt bike carb- I think I am going to make a plate that the carbs bolt to that also bolt to the head as my intake so that they almost act like an itb setup. How thick of a plate do you guys think I need to run for that?

Also one thing I am getting a bit confused on is how the box is put on and sealed to the carbs- do you have any pictures of what it looks like on the back side that goes to the carbs?

Also do you guys have any idea on the linkage for all the carbs to open up at the same time? And lastly would for fuel going from fuel injection to a carb setup- would I just run a fuel pressure regulator (or a rising rate regulator) to the carbs for the fuel pump or how does that work?

Dirtbike and snowmobile carbs gibe better throttle response than reg carbs do- for one- for two, it would almost be like fuel injectors one per each cylinder and it would be like itbs again one for each cylinder. Also with carbs instead of fuel injection I am honestly not as limited.

Now what I mean by limited is this. it costs WAAAAAAY more money to get teh right injectors, the different fuel rail, higher pressure fuel pump, the map sensor, the maf sensor, the iac sensor, the crank trigger, and a bunch more. Also I would have to buy the tuning equipment or higher someone to do it for me- uh I don't higher people to anything for me really. So I would need the software for tuning it, which no one really makes. So there is mega squirt now I have to try and figure out how to setup my own wire harness and figure out how to get the sensors previously mentioned installed on an engine that did not have them. For example 6Shooter has "figured out" how to make a crank trigger work and crank sensor. All this to me seems like it is waaay more of a hassle than making it carborated. I've seen carbs that go on the dyno that compared to their fi counterparts are not that much different in numbers on almost same setups. It has more to do with the skill of the tuner. getting the jets set right and screws etc.

So that being said- does anyone know the answer the question(S) I asked?