HybridZ

Where can I find good carbs?

I have a 72 240z an I currently have the stock su's on, but I have had to rebuild them and I just want something better and equipped for racing. All I can find are weber carbs that are about $1000. Is there anything out there that is good and less expensive? I would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

I've been thinking about these webers, but am still researching about them. There was a post about them a few weeks ago, but you'll have to fab up some linkage.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/91271-side-drafts/

They're only $300 for the setup

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/wk165.htm

I too am battling my SU's, I've freshened them up and have been balancing and adjusting for a few weeks with little improvement.

post-5838-039419500 1281648355_thumb.jpg

I have a 72 240z an I currently have the stock su's on, but I have had to rebuild them and I just want something better and equipped for racing.

What are your plans that cause you to think the SUs will not be adequate? One of our local Z guys has a Rebello 3.1 stroker running with SUs, albeit enlarged by Rebello. The point is that the SUs are more than adequate for street L engines, or can be enlarged. They aren't harder to tune than any other carb once you learn how and there are numerous posts that take you through it step by step. You can also get the Z Therapy video if you prefer to learn by watching instead of reading.

The Weber DGVs in the previous post are fine, but are not an improvement over the SUs from a performance point of view. Some will argue that the since they are downdraft, the extra bend required in airflow will only make them breath more poorly than SUs on an L engine. My own experience with them is that once set up properly, they were equivalent to SUs. They were not easier nor harder to tune, just different.

They do look like DGV down drafts, but they are actually side draft Dual 45 MCHH carburetors. They are SU replacements for triumph TR6 carbs.

The air cleaners in the pic look just like the DGV down draft ones for sure though.

My only concern is that they are designed for a 2.4L engine and I have an L28. But in the prior post I linked the guy said they worked pretty well.

They do look like DGV down drafts, but they are actually side draft Dual 45 MCHH carburetors. They are SU replacements for triumph TR6 carbs.

Ah, I didn't enlarge the picture, saw the rectangular air cleaners, and just assumed they were DGVs.

Still, what is the benefit of going this route vs. getting the SUs set up properly?

Unless the throttle shafts are leaking, it's very simple to rebuild SUs.

Still, what is the benefit of going this route vs. getting the SUs set up properly?

Unless the throttle shafts are leaking, it's very simple to rebuild SUs.

To me its purely a cost benefit, SU's are tough to beat when setup and dialed in. I've rebuilt mine but they just dont want to perform right. (like you said, I think my throttle shafts are leaking) Ztherapy or other expert rebuilds are more expensive than the webers

So for me its just cost, I know good SU's will out perform these webers, I haven't given up on my SU's yet, but the webers might be an option for me.

Edited by MikeBZ

Spraying Carb Cleaner on the shaft area will answer the 'throttle shaft' issue in about 15 seconds.

If they don't respond, indicating shafts that aren't leaking (and this merely means you dial down the mix screws to give fuel to match if there IS a leaky shaft response) then what do you do? Putting Webers on there will result in the same synchronisation/anomaly you currently have.

The 'leaking shafts' is way overblown. You can adjust them pretty well even when leaking pretty good...

That's an interesting Weber, but they will have the same issues as any SU in regards to synch, and that linkage looks... well it looks! :( You DO realize this kit you linked is for a Triumph, so you're going to modify the bracket as a minimum... Ray did a lot of custom work to make them go, and from what I'm reading they don't have a vacuum advance port so you loose that...hello custom recurve distrubutor (what was that cost again?)

Like I mentioned in the other thread, the Flat-Slide carbs are available as well, and have better performance potential. If the costs are that critical...well...I don't know what to say. I can run a lot of old SU's for the cost of that kit!

"Good Carburetor" is an oxymoron!

Edited by Tony D
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's an interesting Weber, but they will have the same issues as any SU in regards to synch, and that linkage looks... well it looks! :( You DO realize this kit you linked is for a Triumph, so you're going to modify the bracket as a minimum... Ray did a lot of custom work to make them go, and from what I'm reading they don't have a vacuum advance port so you loose that...hello custom recurve distrubutor (what was that cost again?)

I just thought of this so sorry for the long delay, but would I need the carb to have a vacuum advance port ? I have my vacuum advance hooked to a port on the balance tube between the intakes, (same place my brake booster gets vacuum)